180224_crm_summerinfeb0183 copy.jpg

Two girls sit down on the steps of the Holmes-Hunter academic building at the University of Georgia campus on February 24, 2018, in downtown Athens, Georgia. (Photo/Christina R. Matacotta, crmatacotta@gmail.com).

The campus and city news desks have compiled a list of events going on throughout the upcoming week that are open to Athenians and University of Georgia students.

The list includes events intended to become active citizens, spend family time or participate in conversations surrounding new research or upcoming plans for the city. Follow the links for more information for any event.

Monday, April 30

Paws & Relax

What: Take a break from cramming for exams and relax with local therapy dogs on the UGA lawns. UGA Libraries has invited therapy dogs to help students take a break from studying and decompress by playing with the animals.

When: 11 a.m.-1 p.m.

Where: They will be located in five areas across campus including the north quad in front of the Main Library, the colonnade outside of the Zell B. Miller Learning Center, the Science Library lawn and the lawns of Aderhold Hall and Ramsey Student Center.

Free Health Fair at ARC

What: The Athens Recovery Center, Inc. will be hosting a health fair that is free and open to the public. Athens Nurses Clinic will be offering complimentary health screenings for pre-diabetes, blood pressure and hepatitis C. Live Forward, formerly known as AIDS Athens, will also be offering free HIV/AIDS screenings for all attendees.

When: 4:30-7:30 p.m.

Where: Acceptance Recovery Inc.

Tuesday, May 1

2018 Owens Lecture

What: Joshua Gordon will be presenting a lecture at the 2018 Owens Lecture. Gordon is the director of the National Institute of Mental Health, the lead federal agency for research on mental disorders. He will be speaking on his research surrounding transforming the treatment and understanding of mental illness.

When: 2-3 p.m.

Where: Georgia Museum of Art, M. Smith Griffith Auditorium

Young Urban Farmers End of the Year Celebration

What: Young Urban Farmers, a local gardening group, will be celebrating the end of the school year with refreshments and community discussion at the Athens Community Career Center. The group will be discussing their business plans and projects as well as reflect on their growth throughout the year.

When: 5-6:30 p.m.

Where: Athens Community Career Center

Wednesday, May 2

Starting a New Food Business

What: This workshop is open to food entrepreneurs who are just entering their field. Speakers from UGA's Extension faculty, the GDA and the FDA will present information showing attendees how best to produce safe and wholesome food products. Topics addressed will cover challenges involved in starting a food business, how to gain label approval, product safety and much more.

When: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.

Where: UGA Extension Food Science

1 Million Cups

What: Several local organizations, including the Chess & Community Conference, FourAthens and Athensmade, are hosting a weekly discussion for local entrepreneurs. Each week features a different guest from the community to discuss their successes and failures with starting up their own business.

When: 8:30-9:30 a.m.

Where: Athens Area Chamber of Commerce

Thursday, May 3

Nature ramblers

What: Natural Areas, flora and fauna of the State Botanical Garden of Georgia will be explored by the Nature Ramblers. Sessions will start with a reading by nature writers, followed by participants observing various plants, insects and mushrooms along the walk.

When: 9:30-11 a.m.

Where: State Botanical Garden of Georgia visitor center and conservatory

Medicinal Herb Plant Sale

What: UGArden will be hosting a medicinal herb plant sale and tea pop-up at their location on South Milledge Avenue. Plants for sale will include chamomile, lemongrass, sage, thyme, parsley and more.

When: 4-6 p.m.

Where: UGarden on South Milledge Avenue

Friday, May 4

Spring 2018 Undergraduate Commencement

What: Seniors will be walking across the graduation stage and receiving their University of Georgia diplomas. The speaker for the undergraduate commencement will be UGA alumni Charles Kelley and Dave Haywood from Lady Antebellum.

When: 7 p.m.

Where: Sanford Stadium

Brain Aid’s Mental Health Month Fest

What: Mayoral and commission candidates are invited to speak about their plans regarding mental health awareness and support in the Athens community. Following their discussion, True Born Sons, Sea Wall and Garrett Hatch are all scheduled to play.

When: 6 p.m.

Where: Flickr Bar

Saturday, May 5

Plant Taxonomy

What: Taxonomy is the names and classifications of many things such as plants, animals, fungi and microbes. This curse will focus on plant morphology. Participants will be familiarized with the basic characteristics botanists look for when investigating unknown plants. Hand lenses are suggested.

When: 9 a.m.-5 pm.

Where: State Botanical Garden of Georgia in the Mimsie Lanier center for native plant studies

Athens Human Rights Festival

What: The volunteer-run festival is put together to provide a public forum for free speech and exchange of information. There will be street theatre, children’s activities and music throughout the event.

When: 10 a.m.-1 p.m. on May 6

Where: College Avenue

Sunday, May 6

Sunday Spotlight Tour

What: Each Sunday, a docent-led tour in the Georgia Museum of Art guides participants through the highlights of the permanent collection.

When: 3-4 p.m.

Where: Georgia Museum of Art

Resistance School

What: 100+ Days of Athens will be hosting an event to foster a discussion about grassroots activism. The discussion topics are put together by Harvard University graduates for the purpose of instilling a deeper understanding of history and of the possibilities of local grassroots activism.

When: 3 - 5 p.m.

Where: Athens-Clarke County Library