Red Cross Blood Drive

Athens Academy is holding a American Red Cross blood drive on Friday, Oct. 5. (photo/David C Bristow, dbristow65@gmail.com)

The news desk has compiled a list of events going on throughout the upcoming week that are open to Athenians and University of Georgia students.

The list includes events intended to become active citizens, spend family time or participate in conversations surrounding new research or upcoming plans for the city. Follow the links for more information for any event.

Monday, Oct. 1

Vulcan Material Info Session

What: The University of Georgia Terry College of Business is hosting an information session featuring Vulcan Materials, the nation's largest producer of construction aggregates and aggregate materials. Students interested in a positions available with the company are invited to attend.

When: 5-7 p.m.

Where: Correll Hall, Room 214

Sandy Creek Nature Center Board Meeting

What: The Sandy Creek Nature Center is hosting its October board meeting, which is open to the public.

When: 5:30-7:30 p.m.

Where: Sandy Creek Nature Center at 2015 Old Commerce Road

Tuesday, Oct. 2

Bay Area Alumni Panel Discussion

What: The UGA Career Center is hosting an Arch Ready panel discussion virtually featuring UGA alumni working in Bay Area companies such as Tesla, Facebook, LinkedIn, Salesforce and Google.

When: 4:30 p.m.

Where: Zell B. Miller Learning Center, Room 248

Athens in Motion Vote: Pack the Room

What: The ACC Mayor and Commission will vote on the Athens in Motion Biking and Walking Master Plan at its monthly voting session. Athens in Motion is inviting the community to attend to show support for the plan.

When: 6-9 p.m.

Where: Athens-Clarke County City Hall at 301 College Ave.

Wednesday, Oct. 3

Global Health Seminar: Public Health Challenges in Croatia

What: The College of Public Health is hosting a seminar on the public health challenges in Croatia open to all UGA students, faculty and staff. Speakers include Ante Cvitkovic, who will discuss air pollution, Marijana Valjetic, who will discuss vaccinations in Croatia, and more.

When: 10 a.m.-12 p.m.

Where: Wright Hall, Annex Auditorium at 100 Foster Road

Keep Athens-Clarke County Beautiful Board Meeting

What: KACCB is hosting its October board meeting to discuss upcoming community beautification projects and events. The meeting is open to the public.

When: 4-5:30 p.m.

Where: Synovus Bank, 4th floor conference room at 150 West Hancock

Athens Anti-Discrimination Movement Town Hall Meeting

What: The AADM is hosting a town hall meeting to discuss the unexpected resignation of former Police Chief Scott Freeman. AADM is inviting County Manager Blaine Williams, ACC Mayor and Commission and other stakeholders so the community can gain clarity of the situation.

When: 6-8 p.m.

Where: Athens-Clarke County Library at 2025 Baxter St.

Thursday, Oct. 4

Employer of the Day: WestRock

What: The WestRock company is visiting UGA to scout for interns in the fields of finance, supply chain, IT, internal audits, logistics, communications and marketing. Dress for the event is casual.

When: 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m.

Where: Amos Hall, Room B100 at 620 S. Lumpkin St.

Plans Review Meeting

What: The Planning Committee will approve and review upcoming development plans. Items on the agenda include the Dawg Dough company and the MLK Greenway Extension.

When: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.

Where: Building Permits & Inspections Department Conference Room at 120 W. Dougherty St.

Friday, Oct. 5

Criminal Justice Alumni Panel

What: The Criminal Justice Program at UGA is hosting a panel where alumni will give current students advice in the fields of law enforcement, probation, parole, juvenile justice, academia and loss prevention.

When: 3:30 p.m.

Where: Baldwin Hall, Pinnacle Room 480 at 355 S. Jackson St.

Red Cross Blood Drive

What: The Athens Academy is hosting its first Red Cross blood drive of the year on its campus. The community is invited to attend.

When: 8 a.m.-1 p.m.

Where: Athens Academy, 1281 Spartan Lane

Saturday, Oct. 6

Athens for Everyone Midterm Elections Canvassing

What: Athens for Everyone invites the community to canvass for medicaid expansion, raising the minimum wage, decriminalizing marijuana, repealing campus carry and expanding green energy in Georgia.

When: 3-6 p.m.

Where: A4E Office at 160 Tracy St. Unit 4 Suite 10

Animal Control Volunteer Orientation

What: The Athens Animal Control Shelter is hosting an orientation for new volunteers. Those interested can register online.

When: 9:15-10 a.m.

Where: 125 Buddy Christian Way

Sunday, Oct. 7

Fourth Annual Coat Drive 

What: The Athens YMCA is hosting its fourth annual coat drive and is looking for volunteers. On Sunday the coat pickup is open for the homeless and foster families. To volunteer email jacqueline@athensymca.org or call 706-543-6596.

When: 1-6 p.m.

Where: Athens YMCA at 915 Hawthorne Ave.

ASL Classes

What: UGA Baptist College Ministries hosts free American sign language classes every other Sunday.

When: 4:30-5:30 p.m.

Where: UGA BCM at 450 S. Lumpkin St.