side_by_side.jpg

Stacey Abrams, left, and Brian Kemp, right, are the Democratic and Republican gubernatorial candidates, respectively, for the state of Georgia in the upcoming 2018 midterm election. 

Ten days after Georgians went to the polls to choose their next governor, the race may be coming to a close.

Stacey Abrams, Democratic candidate for Georgia’s governor, ended her campaign today, Nov. 16, the Associated Press reported.

Abrams, the former minority leader in the state House, refused to concede on election night, Nov. 6, because there were still absentee and provisional ballots to be counted. In a speech, her campaign manager expressed confidence that Kemp’s share of the vote would drop below 50 percent, which would have sent the race to a runoff.

“I will not concede because the erosion of our democracy is not right,” Abrams said today, The Atlanta-Journal Constitution reported.

While not conceding, Abrams said she can’t win the race, according to the AP.

On election night, Gwinnett and Fulton counties had issues at their precincts, forcing votes to come in late. Votes were still being counted the next day, Nov. 7, in Clarke and DeKalb counties.

Even once all the votes were in, Abrams didn’t concede to her opponent, Republican Brian Kemp, who resigned as Secretary of State on Nov. 8, declaring himself the victor of the race.

Abrams plans to file a federal lawsuit “against the state of Georgia for the gross mismanagement of this election and to protect future elections,” she said in a speech, as reported by the AP.

She has already filed several lawsuits, including one requesting Dougherty County to count absentee ballots received through Friday, Nov. 9, as long as they were postmarked by Nov. 6.

As of press time on Nov. 16, Kemp remained on top with 50.22 percent of votes with Abrams trailing behind with 48.83 percent. A federal judge ruled on Tuesday the Secretary of State’s office would have to wait until today, instead of Wednesday as originally planned, to certify the results. The Secretary of State’s office has not officially certified the results yet, but the race is nearing its end.

Kemp has already begun his transition as Georgia’s next governor.