Michell Nguyen

Michelle Nguyen was appointed the second director of the Economic Development Department in Athens-Clarke County history on Jan. 18. 

Athens-Clarke County has an official Economic Development Department director as of Friday. Michelle Nguyen, who has served as interim director since Sept. 1, was appointed by ACC Manager Blaine Williams to begin her duties immediately.

Nguyen has served on the EDD since July 2017. Before that, she served as a human resources professional in the ACC Human Resources Department.

"It’s an exciting time to be in Athens-Clarke County with so much potential for new development, re-development, and job expansion," Nguyen said in an ACC press release. "I am grateful to be a part of an experienced team of professionals at the Economic Development Department and I am looking forward to partnering with the business community to bring broad-based opportunity and growth to Athens.”

As director, Nguyen is in charge of overseeing the current and future relationship between Athens and larger development opportunities, such as industry and commercial expansion into the city.

"Michelle's great enthusiasm and experience in working with state and local entrepreneurs, along with technology and innovation companies, will serve our community well," Williams said in the press release. "With her guidance, I have no doubt that the Economic Development Department will support bold efforts and ideas with the goal of keeping Athens-Clarke County a sought-after place to create and grow businesses."

Former department director Ryan Moore left his position in August of last year to pursue an opportunity in Brunswick. He was the first director of the newly created department, which was established by the Mayor and Commission in 2013.