Clarke County school bus

The Clarke County School District began announcing administrative changes for the 2019-2020 school year in April. 

In early April, the Clarke County School District announced the first of many administrative changes to take effect during the 2019-2020 school year. Many principles, assistant vice principals and other administrators in the CCSD announced their resignations or retirements, while others announced transfer to districtwide leadership positions.

As a result, seven public schools posted vacancies for principal positions. Through a collaboration between district staff and school hiring committees, five of the seven vacancies have been filled as of press time. Vacancies remain at Fowler Drive Elementary School and Hilsman Middle School.

Under the charter system — adopted by CCSD in 2016 — the school hiring committees are comprised of community members, school staff and Local Governance Team Members, the latter being a governance team of educators, parents/guardians and community members.

Here’s a breakdown of who has filled positions at six of the seven public schools experiencing changes:

Correction: In a previous version of this article, the individual filling the position at Alps Road Elementary School was misstated. This has since then been corrected. Also, there is an additional vacancy at Chase Street Elementary School that was not mentioned, in addition to the vacancy at Alps Road Elementary School. The Red & Black regrets these errors.