190201_CMB_PoliceCar_007.jpg

An Athens Clarke County police car sits parked outside the police department on College Avenue in downtown Athens, Georgia on Friday, February 1, 2019. (Photo/Caroline Barnes, http://carolinembarnes.wixsite.com/photography)

Woman scammed by man posing as Apple employee

A woman was scammed out of money by a man posing as an Apple employee who claimed he was trying to help combat a hacker, according to an Athens-Clarke County Police Department incident report.

The woman gave the suspect access to her bank account on Feb. 17. The suspect moved $1,700 from the victim’s checking account to an unknown bank account, and he moved $132 to another account, according to the report.

The victim’s bank needed a police state for its records, according to the report. All stolen money would be refunded to the victim.

Nearly $700 worth of faucets stolen from house

Eight faucets were stolen from a house under construction on Ruth Street on the night of Feb. 19 or morning of Feb. 20, according to an ACCPD incident report.

The suspect broke a window to enter the house and stole the faucets, which the contractor left for plumbers to install the next day. Plumbers arrived to find a rear window broken and the sinks missing from the site, according to the report.

Police did not find fingerprints but photographed a muddy shoe print inside the house. The sinks were valued at $690, and the window damage was valued at $100, according to the report.

Dog shot by owner’s neighbor

A woman’s dog died after being shot in her backyard, according to an ACCPD incident report.

The dog did not come when called, so the woman began looking for it when she found it on the ground with a gunshot wound to the torso, according to the report. She heard a gunshot prior but believed it was people hunting, which she said is common in her area.

According to the report, the woman believed her neighbor was the suspect because the neighbor had expressed not liking the dog before.