college station plaza

Athens-Clarke County is converting part of College Avenue between East Clayton Street and East Broad Street into a temporary pedestrian and dining plaza. When the project ends, the mayor and commission will consider whether to permanently close the block to traffic. (Photo/Kyra Posey)

The Athens-Clarke County Transportation and Public Works Department and Central Services Department closed College Avenue between East Clayton Street and East Broad Street to vehicles on Thursday to temporarily convert the area into a pedestrian and dining plaza, according to an ACC press release.

The closure is part of a six-month pilot project that was approved by the ACC Mayor and Commission at its June 25 meeting. When the project ends, the mayor and commission will consider whether to permanently close the block for use as a pedestrian plaza.

The ACC Landscape Management Division has installed concrete planters with landscaping at both ends of the block to prevent vehicles from entering. The county will adjust traffic signs, signals and turn lanes this week to change traffic patterns for the closure.

The plaza’s two dining areas will include five picnic tables, 14 standard tables and four ADA-accessible tables in a socially distanced pattern. Hand sanitizer stations will also be located around the plaza.

The press release noted that face coverings are required in most instances in the area, except for people who are eating or drinking.

FGC

I'm glad to see that Athens is considering moving toward a more pedestrian and outdoor-friendly downtown, especially during this pandemic.

UGAGrad08

So closing a main thoroughfare going through town is a good idea? Says who??? It's just going to clog up the other, smaller side streets and make it more difficult to navigate the downtown area. SMH at the logic (or lack of) in this town. Glad I don't live here and get to go home to a normal town after work every day.