bars reopen 009.jpg

Bars in Athens,Georgia open back up on Monday, June 1,2020. Many bars and restaurants in Athens have been closed for the past two months due to COVID-19. However with Governor Kemp permitting bars to reopen at 35% capacity, Flicker Theatre & Bar has chosen to open their doors.(Photo/Sophie Yaeger)

The Athens-Clarke County Mayor and Commission voted to require bars and restaurants with liquor licenses to stop serving alcohol at 10 p.m. in a special called session on Thursday.

The early last call allows for a 45 minute resolution period so patrons who order a beverage at 10 p.m. have 45 minutes to consume the drink. The previous last call time was 2 a.m. Restaurants and bars can still serve food after 10 p.m., but no alcoholic beverages.

Governors of South Carolina, North Carolina, Colorado and Alabama have implemented similar orders to curb the spread of the coronavirus.

District 1 Commissioner Patrick Davenport voted against the early last call. He expressed concerns about how the reduction of hours will impact bars and restaurants and asked that the commission take a more holistic approach to combating COVID-19.

“We seem to always focus on the college students and the bars,” Davenport said.

The mayor and commission also voted to extend the local COVID-19 state of emergency with amendments.

The ordinance allows patrons or employees of restaurants to carry alcoholic beverages across public streets, sidewalks or right-of-way to an outdoor seating area. The commission also voted to amend the language of the face covering exemption to people eating or drinking would only apply if the person was seated.

The ordinance also extends the April 1 occupation tax deadline to Oct. 2.

District 3 Commissioner Melissa Link proposed this amendment, citing research that people are more likely to transmit COVID-19 if they are transmitting the droplets at a higher altitude.

wjabbe

Mark Twain Quotes:

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/4115-man-is-the-reasoning-animal-such-is-the-claim-i

“Man is the Reasoning Animal. Such is the claim. I think it is open to dispute. Indeed, my experiments have proven to me that he is the Unreasoning Animal... In truth, man is incurably foolish. Simple things which other animals easily learn, he is incapable of learning. Among my experiments was this. In an hour I taught a cat and a dog to be friends. I put them in a cage. In another hour I taught them to be friends with a rabbit. In the course of two days I was able to add a fox, a goose, a squirrel and some doves. Finally a monkey. They lived together in peace; even affectionately.

Next, in another cage I confined an Irish Catholic from Tipperary, and as soon as he seemed tame I added a Scotch Presbyterian from Aberdeen. Next a Turk from Constantinople; a Greek Christian from Crete; an Armenian; a Methodist from the wilds of Arkansas; a Buddhist from China; a Brahman from Benares. Finally, a Salvation Army Colonel from Wapping. Then I stayed away for two whole days. When I came back to note results, the cage of Higher Animals was all right, but in the other there was but a chaos of gory odds and ends of turbans and fezzes and plaids and bones and flesh--not a specimen left alive. These Reasoning Animals had disagreed on a theological detail and carried the matter to a Higher Court.”

wjabbe

The ignorant and bigoted folks "elected", if you can call it that, have ignored the single most important act anyone can do to keep this virus at bay: High dose Vitamin C. It is safe, cheap, about 2 cents per gram, and safe and highly effective as proved the the late Fred Klenner, M.D. in these references which I am sure none of the prejudiced bigots on our Commission have read or would read if placed in front of their closed eyes and minds. Nearly all animals manufacture their own stores of this vital miracle substance and this is why they have not all vanished from Earth. Humans do not make it and so must take it in from external sources in optimal amounts every day. However there are no billions of dollars of easy money for big pharma in Vitamin C and hence they keep their normally big mouths shut on this miracle cheap and safe and powerful substance. Ignorance is bliss in local government in Athens and most of Georgia. Winfield J. Abbe, Ph.D., Physics citizen for 54 years. www.doctoryourself.com/klennerpaper.html http://orthomolecular.org/library/jom/1991/pdf/1991-v06n02-p099.pdf