191205_JBD_Police-1.jpg

An Athens Clarke County Sheriff's drives down the street on Thursday, Dec. 5, 2019, in Athens, Georgia. (Photo/Joey Duncan)

A married couple from Athens-Clarke County was sentenced to a combined total of more than 34 years in federal prison for distributing methamphetamine through the United States Postal Service, according to a Jan. 10 U.S. Department of Justice news release.

Amy Berg, 46, and Joshua Woodey, 39, were sentenced to federal prison with no parole on Jan. 8 for trafficking meth using USPS. Berg was sentenced to 210 months in prison and Woodey to 235 months, both for possession of methamphetamine with intent to distribute, according to the release.

The U.S. Postal Inspection Service received a tip in March 2018 that a package Berg was mailing contained meth. Investigators found 42 grams of methamphetamine and 16 grams of heroin in the package, according to the release. Another package sent by Berg was searched in Sept. 2018 and was found to contain three grams of meth.

In Sept. 2018, police searched the couple’s home in Athens and discovered meth, heroin, marijuana and five other illegal substances, according to the release. Officers also found guns, ammunition, a marijuana grow room and sheets detailing drug transactions.

“The Postal Service has no interest in being the unwitting accomplice to anyone using the U.S. Mail to distribute illegal drugs or other harmful substances,” said David M. McGinnis, U.S. Postal Inspector in Charge of the Charlotte Division. “I fully commend the hard work and countless hours put forth by all the law enforcement agencies.”

Bknight42

What continuously amazes me is how we treat non-violent/drug related crimes in our country. Look, do they deserve? Yes. Do they deserve almost 20 years a piece? It’s completely asinine. So people who murder and rape others get less time? And don’t get me started on white collar crime. Most of the time they don’t even see a jail cell yet cause far more greater damage then two people doing some drugs. The problem here is we demonize people for doing drugs as if they are mental and punish them severely to be made and example. And this prison industrial complex problem just perpetuates the same norms that cause the same problems and do not resolve anything. We have the data. We know those who are incarcerated for more than 10 years or 70% more likely to go back to jail or prison. And why is it when they get out of jail or prison we can’t help them acclimate back to the life they already been punished. This is do you humanization that is perpetuated about people who may have made bad mistakes and deserve punishment but it should be on better scale and our government is atrocious with this. A scale way at least we can try to rehabilitate. Because I don’t know if you are aware but we have an opiate crisis as well so I’ll be just going to send though people to jail too. We got to be consistent they’re doing illegal drugs though they may need help, too bad for them. We have to learn that drugs are going to continue no matter how much we incarcerate and that should be self evident but apparently it’s not. We have to learn different ways to try to help those who really want help.