180305_MLN_commissioner_walk_0094.jpg

Russell Edwards, Tim Denson, and other family members and supporters walk from City Hall to the Board of Elections office to apply for county commissioner positions in Athens, Georgia, on Monday, March 5, 2018. (Photo/McGee Nall, www.mcgeenall.com)

Local activist organization Athens for Everyone elected several new board members and adopted a new platform for 2018.

Six A4E members were elected to two-year terms. The platform was expanded to 21 items from last year's 11 items and is divided into local and state platforms for the first time.

These changes took place at their annual member meeting at the Athens-Clarke County Library on Feb. 24.

The board's role includes appointing members to lead certain initiatives, as well as supporting candidates for office.

The number of board members rose since last year, from nine to 14. The number of members has fluctuated over the years and is not a set rule, A4E organization coordinator Adam Lassila said.

The new board members elected are Eleanor Davis, Meera Naqvi, Nnenne Onyioha-Clayton, Eric Rose, Imani Scott-Blackwell and Jimena Vargas Pacora.

Scott-Blackwell is stepping down to run for Clarke County School Board in District 5 but plans to return to her role after the election.

Lassila said the new board members bring their own experience and perspectives to contribute. Rose is involved with the United Campus Workers of Georgia, the recently formed union of workers that include University of Georgia employees. Naqvi has a background in public health, and Onyioha-Clayton brings experience from political campaigns and volunteer organizing.

A4E separated the platforms into local and state issues because some of its local initiatives would come into conflict with state laws, even if passed in Athens.

"Local policy can do a lot to address the problems we have in Athens, but it can't fix all of Athens' problems," Lassila said.

One issue that was expanded was criminal justice reform. A4E had previously advocated for local decriminalization of marijuana, but is now pushing for statewide legalization. A4E supports this to reduce prison populations in the future, especially for non-violent drug offenders.

A4E also added an initiative to end cash bail. Lassila said these issues, as well as advocating for an equity package to combat poverty, have expanded focus on racial and criminal justice issues.

“I think it really shows A4E doing a better job of getting in line and working together with black-led organizations in the community to really fight for racial justice in Athens," Lassila said.

Other issues were removed from the platform because the organization felt that they had been achieved. One such issue was raising the minimum wage for full-time Clarke County employees to $11.60 an hour. Another was the successful T-SPLOST referendum that passed last year, allocating more money for transportation projects. Lastly, the expansion of Athens Clarke County Transit to include a bus route that goes to US highway 29, was mentioned as a victory, according to their website.

“The most exciting thing is when you get to take something off your platform, not because you think it can't be done, but because you already did it," Lassila said.

OliviaStephen2

Urgent effective love Spell caster to help you bring back ex lover & save you marriage fast Unityspelltemple@gmail.com is certainly the best spell caster online and his result is 100% guarantee!.
My Name Olivia Stephen form Tx,USA. After 12years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he would come back to me, I was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a (Love spell) for me. 28 hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr.Unity real and powerful spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your Ex back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now. Here’s his contact: Call/WhatsApp:+2348071622464,Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com ,his website: https://urgentspell.blogspot.com .

Prosper1

DO NOT KEEP YOUR FINANCIAL BURDEN TO YOURSELF CONTACT US NOW FOR ANY KIND OF LOAN AT A LOW INTEREST OF 2%. ( prosperloanfirm@yahoo.com )

This company loan are fully insured and registered for maximum security is our priority, Our leading goal is to help you get the service you deserve, Our Loan program is the quickest. We give out loan in any currency of your choice {Us Dollar, pounds, Euro, Dinar, etc} and duration of 1 to 60 years to pay back the loan (secure and unsecured).

Do you need any kind of loan and have low credit score, Have you find it difficult to get loans
from local banks and other financial institutions? solution to your financial problem is PROSPER LOAN FIRM. The terms and conditions are very reasonable and considerate.

We offer a wide range of financial services which includes: Xmas Loans, Business Loans, Debt Consolidation Loans, Personal Loans, Car loans, Hotel loans, Student loans, Home Refinancing Loans with low interest rate @2% per annul for individuals, companies and corporate bodies.

Interested applicants should Contact us via email: prosperloanfirm@yahoo.com , OR call/text +1(816) 366-8769 . Apply and be free from financial bondage..................