Attorney General Christopher Carr

Attorney General Christopher Carr discussed social security, concealed carry and other topics at the Athens GOP meeting on Aug. 14.

Attorney General Christopher Carr paid a visit to the monthly Athens GOP meeting Monday night to discuss changes he hopes to see in the state this year.

“This is what you get with good, thoughtful conservative leadership,” said Carr of Republican local leaders such as Athens representative Regina Quick. “The state of Georgia is in a position it’s in because of the leadership of folks like them.”

Among other topics, Carr discussed his role in Georgia politics.

“It’s a little bit legal, a little policy, a little communications and awareness and a little bit managerial,” he said after being appointed in October 2016.

Carr is set to run for attorney general in the 2018 election and said that over the course of his time in the position, his main priorities are social security, concealed carry and prayer in the legislature.

He brought up a ruling in San Diego, California, which limited concealed carry, arguing that the second amendment does not extend outside of the home, calling it “absolutely ridiculous.”

Traditionally in Georgia, many government meetings begin with a prayer, which is similar to how business is done in Jackson, Michigan, which is Carr’s mother’s hometown.

But recently, a county commissioner felt offended after being asked to lead a prayer, later suing the county.

“The first amendment talks about the establishment of religion and the free exercise of religion,” he said. “Basically, what we are saying is, ‘You don’t have to pray if you don’t want to, but don’t tell those of us who want to pray that we can’t.”

Looking to the future, Carr hopes to tackle human trafficking, opioid abuse and elder abuse.

“From June 1, 2016 to June 1, 2017, 541 million illegal doses—that’s 51 illegal doses for every man, woman and child in the state of Georgia,” Carr said. “This issue is ravaging families, communities and companies.”

Carr ended his talk by soliciting questions from members regarding immigration, sanctuary cities and voter fraud. He responded that Georgia is in agreement on current federal immigration laws and has been a model state avoiding sanctuary cities and voter fraud.

“We’ve been actually big supporters of enforcing immigration law,” he said. “But you need to let your elected officials know that this is important to you.”

Carr recognized the challenges with having a full plate of issues to address, asking members of the Athens GOP to continue their support of grassroots movements in the party.

“You elect individuals to represent you,” Carr said. “Making sure that they look to the constitutional system. Those are the rules of the game.”