Kroger unisex bathroom

The Kroger on U.S. Highway 19 in Athens received a lot of attention Monday for its inclusive bathroom.

A Kroger in Athens went viral Monday, and not for its grocery deals or gas prices.

The store, located on U.S. Highway 29, received widespread coverage from media outlets such as Mashable, The Huffington Post and Time Magazine for its inclusive unisex bathroom, which has a sign stating that Kroger wants to provide a safe place for several different groups of people — including the LGBT community.

“Sometimes gender specific toilets put others into uncomfortable situations," the sign reads.

According to Time, images of the sign went viral after a customer posted it on Facebook over the weekend. The post had more than 96,000 shares and about 71,000 likes and 2,700 comments as of Tuesday morning.

The attention came amid continued news coverage of North Carolina's decision to ban anti-discrimination rules set forth by local governments in the state, thereby nullifying a Charlotte ordinance that allowed transgender individuals to use any bathroom that was aligned with their gender identity, the Associated Press reports. The measure, which Gov. Pat McCrory signed into law March 24, sparked outrage on social media and amassed dissidence from several LGBT policy organizations, such as Lambda Legal and the Human Rights Campaign.

Kroger's unisex bathroom also went viral after Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal said Tuesday that he would veto House Bill 757 — also known as the "religious freedom bill" — which many in the LGBT community said would have legitimized discrimination against gay and transgender individuals.