ACC Cop car

An Athens-Clarke County police car is parked on the street in downtown Athens on March 1, 2018. 

Driver arrested for false information and no license

After running license plate information for a vehicle on Paris Street on Aug. 5, police pulled over a driver and discovered he was unlicensed, according to an Athens-Clarke County police report.

When the officer on duty approached the vehicle, both passengers stepped out of the vehicle. The officer instructed them to get back in, to which the passenger complied, but the driver did not, the report said. The driver eventually stepped back into the vehicle after multiple commands from the officer.

Once the two returned to the vehicle, they rolled down the car window, which immediately emanated an odor of marijuana, according to the report.

The vehicle returned as having a suspended registration and no insurance.

The passenger advised that she had just purchased car insurance the first of the month. The officer determined that there was a “high likelihood” that the insurance company entered the vehicle identification number incorrectly, so the vehicle was not towed and a citation was not issued, according to the report.

The officer asked for the driver’s and passenger’s identification information. The driver gave a false name and birth date, which suggested he was a 13-year-old male.

“I was highly confident that the male in front of me with multiple tattoos was not 13 years old,” the report said.

The driver then gave another date, indicating that he was 24 years old. This birth date also did not return any information in the database.

He was later identified as being unlicensed. The passenger was also identified as having a warrant out in Walton County for aggravated battery.

The passenger was issued a citation for permitting an unlicensed driver to drive, after admitting she knew the driver was unlicensed.

The driver was arrested and charged with giving false information and driving while unlicensed.

Brawl at Family Dollar

Three women fighting inside the Family Dollar on Lexington Road on Aug. 5 resulted in citations for disorderly conduct and being barred from the property, according to an ACCPD police report.

From what the officer on duty gathered, the women were fighting over a male not present at the store, the report said. The verbal argument became a physical altercation.

During the altercation, merchandise was knocked onto the floor, but nothing was damaged.

“Other customers in the store during the battle royal were able to recondition the store,” the report said.

All three women were issued citations for disorderly conduct and were barred for a period of two years from the Family Dollar.

Car window intentionally broken

A family affair resulted in a broken car window on Aug. 5.

A woman who was visiting her brother’s apartment to pick up some food was asked to pay him $10 that the brother said she owed. According to the police report, the brother became upset when his sister told him she didn’t have his $10.

“He told her he should give him the money or she would not leave the yard,” the report said.

The woman continued to get in the car she was driving, which belonged to another party.

“[The suspect] then approached the car and hit the window with his hand causing the window to break,” The report said.

The total damage was valued at $200. The owner of the vehicle said he did not wish to pursue charges as long as the suspect paid for the damage to his vehicle, according to the report.

The suspect said he would pay for the damage in the upcoming weeks.