190201_CMB_PoliceCar_002.jpg

An Athens Clarke County police car parked outside the City Hall on College Avenue in downtown Athens, Georgia on Friday, February 1, 2019. (Photo/Caroline Barnes, http://carolinembarnes.wixsite.com/photography)

Gas station owner scammed out of $4,900 in Google Play Cards 

A gas station owner was scammed out of $4,900 after receiving a phone call on Jan. 29 from an individual posing as a local police chief, according to an ACCPD report. 

The victim reported receiving a call from a so-called chief at the Clarke County Sheriff's Office who informed him he was a suspect in a bank fraud case in California and now needed to “clear his debts.” 

The gas station owner was instructed to take a check to an unspecified location, but upon his arrival, the caller demanded the owner withdraw a large amount of cash and purchase multiple Google Play cards at Kroger. 

The victim complied with the demands and gave the card numbers to the scammer over the phone. According to the ACCPD, this is a known scam technique.

There is no chief at the Clarke County Sheriff's Office by the name given to the victim. The suspect remains unknown.

Three suspects with 14 warrants use stolen credit card 

Three Florida females are wanted after using a stolen credit card to make purchases totaling $1,651.08 at local grocery and department stores, according to an ACCPD press release.

On Jan. 20, the suspects allegedly broke into a vehicle and stole a purse containing a credit card, which the women used to make three separate transactions of merchandise and gift cards. On the fourth attempt, the card was declined.

“They target vehicles where a purse has been left in a vehicle in a parking lot,” ACCPD detective Nathaniel Franco said. “The suspects obtain a credit card from the purse and immediately go to a grocery or department store to purchase merchandise or gift cards.”

The Covington Police Department assisted the ACCPD in identifying the suspects after the women committed a similar crime in Covington jurisdiction, according to the press release.

The individuals now have 14 outstanding arrest warrants. 

The suspects were last seen in the Athens area on Jan. 29. The ACCPD asks anyone with information on the three suspects to contact Franco at 706-353-4218, ext. 147.

Engineering company employee loses $1,600 in email scam 

On Jan. 30, a company employee purchased 16 iTunes gift cards for an email scammer posing to be the CEO of the company she worked for, according to an ACCPD report.

Around 8:30 a.m., the victim received an email from an individual claiming to be the company’s CEO. According to the report, the imposter explained he was in a business meeting and instructed the woman to purchase 16 iTunes gift cards at $100 each, take photos of the card numbers, and email him the photos.

The woman followed the instructions and later realized the email was fraudulent. 

Apple is investigating where the gift cards were redeemed.