180723_ajw_accpd_press_conference_0008.jpg

Outside the Athens-Clarke County Police Department East Precinct in Athens, Georgia on Monday, July 23, 2018. (Photo/Tony Walsh)

Man barred from CVS after hiding bottles of soap in his pants 

A male suspect was barred from CVS on Alps Road on Feb. 6 after the store manager observed him “stuffing items down his pants”, according to an ACCPD report.

When the man was confronted by the manager, he fled the store. Police were able to locate the suspect near the CVS, but he did not have any items on his person.

The man admitted to stealing the items but claimed he ditched them as he ran out of the store. However, no merchandise was recovered.

The officers were presented security with footage showing the suspect “stuffing several items into his pants” in the body wash section, according to the report. Nine bottles of Dove body wash totaling $80.91 were stolen and never recovered.

The suspect was arrested and barred from CVS on Alps Road for a period of two years.

Athens apartment robbed 

A 4th Street Village Apartments unit was burglarized of more than 100 personal items on Feb. 6, according to an ACCPD report.

A passerby noticed a damaged window at approximately 11 a.m. and notified apartment management, according to the report.

When police arrived on the scene, they found a shattered living room window and glass scattered throughout the room. The hole in the glass would have been “difficult to fit through,” according to the report, but police believe the robber was able to reach through the hole to unlock the side door.

The victim informed police of stolen personal items. A PS4, two PS4 controllers, a Super Nintendo game system, and approximately 100 movies and seven video games were reported stolen from the victim’s TV stand, according to the report. In addition, a pair of Nike sneakers were stolen from the victim’s closet.

Police dusted the scene for latent fingerprints. Partial fingerprints and a shoeprint were collected from the glass shards. There are no suspects at this time, according to the report.

Snapchat scammer targets Athens woman

An Athens woman received a Snapchat message on Feb. 4 from an individual asking if she wanted to “make some money” for a fee of $1,200, according to an ACCPD report.

The offender explained that for a fee of $1,200, she could earn the victim $3,200 in a period of two days, according to the report.

The scammer requested the woman’s name, date of birth, address, account number, debit card number, and online banking login. After providing the information, the victim was told to “just wait and not get online.”

The woman checked her bank account on Feb. 6 and found that her account was $379 overdrawn. Her banking information showed suspicious activity including multiple purchases at a clothing store.

The victim reported the activity to her bank and was advised to keep all messages with the scammer, according to the report.