180723_ajw_accpd_press_conference_0008.jpg

Outside the Athens-Clarke County Police Department East Precinct in Athens, Georgia on Monday, July 23, 2018. (Photo/Tony Walsh)

Marijuana, Xanax found in car

An Athens police officer arrested a man on Aug. 2 after finding a scale, marijuana and crushed Xanax pills in his car. 

The officer first noticed the vehicle with its inside lights on around 10:30 p.m. when he saw the passenger "licking a marijuana cigarette to bind the paper," according to the police report. 

The officer asked to see the marijuana cigarette and asked if there was any other marijuana in the vehicle. At first, the suspect said there was not but when police informed him they would be searching his car, the suspect admitted to having more marijuana, the report said. 

The Xanax pills were found with a cut straw that police think was used to snort the substance, according to the report. The suspect said he had a prescription but could not provide proof or the original container for the pills. 

The suspect was transported to Clarke County Jail and was charged with possession of less than one ounce of marijuana, possession of a Schedule IV substance, having drugs outside of the original container and possession of drug related objects. 

TV, bed comforter stolen 

Athens-Clarke County police officers responded to Ruth Street on Aug. 2 in reference to a burglary that occurred sometime since July 26. 

According to the police report, the rear bedroom window of the house was open and the TV and comforter were missing. Officers speculated in the report that the comforter may have been used to transport the TV. 

No suspects have been named and no usable evidence was found at the scene. 

Dollar General employee fired for theft

The manager of the Dollar General on Atlanta Highway fired an employee after the employee admitted to having stolen around $800 worth of food and drinks from the store, according to an Athens-Clarke County police report. 

The manager called police to file a report on July 26. According to the report, video evidence from earlier in July shows the employee and her son picking out items in the store and leaving without making a purchase. 

The employee was fired and issued a criminal trespass warning.