190201_CMB_PoliceCar_002.jpg

An Athens-Clarke County police car parked outside City Hall on College Avenue in downtown Athens, Georgia on Friday, February 1, 2019. (Photo/Caroline Barnes, http://carolinembarnes.wixsite.com/photography)

UPDATE: Athens-Clarke County police are searching for a young couple who they believe may have seen a rape suspect, according to Jan. 14 press release.

Detectives believe that the couple may have been in the area of Finley Street and Dearing Street around 3 a.m. on Jan. 11, and may have seen the suspect in a rape that happened in the area around that time, according to the release.

Police ask anyone who has information on the incident or suspect to contact Det. Rick Dearing at 762-400-7174 or Frederick.Dearing@accgov.com, or contact Sgt. Greg Dickson at 762-400-7070 or Gregory.Dickson@accgov.com.

Original story from Jan. 11.

A woman told police she was raped by a man on Jan. 11 at approximately 3 a.m. near Dearing Street and Church Street, according to an Athens-Clarke County Police Department press release.

The woman said she did not know the man, who she described as about 5 feet, 10 inches tall with short hair and “a dark complexion.” He wore dark pants and a grey hoodie, according to the press release.

Police ask anyone with information about the incident or the suspect to contact Det. Rick Dearing at 762-400-7174 or Frederick.Dearing@accgov.com or Sgt. Greg Dickson at 762-400-7070.

In the release, ACCPD encouraged people to find a safe ride home, or, if walking home, to stay with a group and in well-lit areas. Also, the police department encourages people to stay aware of their surroundings and call 911 if they notice anything suspicious.