190201_CMB_PoliceCar_002.jpg

An Athens-Clarke County police car parked outside City Hall on College Avenue in downtown Athens, Georgia on Friday, February 1, 2019. (Photo/Caroline Barnes, http://carolinembarnes.wixsite.com/photography)

The Athens-Clarke County Police Department seized approximately 2,370 fake THC vape cartridges earlier this week, according to a Sept. 25 ACCPD press release.

The cartridges were “homemade” and identical to similar cartridges produced by a company based in California, where THC is legal. The cartridges contained other chemicals with “additional health concerns,” the release said. Police did not specify the identity of the suspect or where the cartridges were seized.

THC is illegal in Georgia, and so is receiving shipments from other states where it may be legal. ACCPD warned citizens to use caution when purchasing vape cartridges because they might contain THC and other chemicals.

The Center for Disease Control is currently undergoing a multistate investigation into an outbreak of lung injury associated with e-cigarette use. A Sept. 24 CDC report found 805 "confirmed and probable" patient cases of lung injury linked to vaping were recorded by 46 states and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The CDC also confirmed 12 deaths in 10 states related to e-cigarette product use. 

The Georgia Department of Public Health announced the first death from a vaping-related illness on Sept. 25. The patient had a history of “heavy nicotine vaping, but no reported history of vaping THC,‘ according to a DPH press release.

Nine cases of vaping-related illness in Georgia have been identified by the DPH. All patients developed pneumonia with “no infectious cause.” The median age of patients was 26, and 7 of the 9 patients were male.