acc linrary puerto rico

Left to right: Robert Sorrell (Friends of Athens-Clarke County Library), Tony Elliott (Friends of Bogart Library), Dee Elliott (Friends of Bogart Library), Athens Regional Library System Executive Director Valerie Bell, Athens Regional Library System Circulation Manager Toby Mayfield, Athens Regional Library System Administrative Assistant Lisa Moncrief, Lamara Martin (President, Friends of the Oglethorpe County Library), Athens Regional Library System Teen Services Coordinator Devera Chandler, Athens-Clarke County Library Volunteer Coordinator Eddie Whitlock.

In the wake of the disastrous hurricanes in Puerto Rico last fall, five local friends of the library groups have banded together to donate books to Puerto Rican communities, according to a press release from the Athens regional library system.

The groups are “comprised of community volunteers who support their local libraries’ programs and services,” according to the statement. Those participating are from five library systems in northeast Georgia: Friends of Athens-Clarke County Library, Friends of Bogart Library, Oconee County Library Friends, Friends of the Oglethorpe County Library, and Friends of the Winterville Library.

Hundreds of English and Spanish books have been collected, mainly for children and teenagers. The donation started after the Boys and Girls Clubs of Puerto Rico issued a call for resources. BGCPR’s request was part of a larger campaign, the Accio Books campaign, from a group called ‘The Harry Potter Alliance.’

“Our libraries strive to engage with our communities in everything we do, and this campaign provided us the opportunity to demonstrate that our community goes beyond our five counties in Northeast Georgia,” remarked Athens Regional Library System

Executive Director Valerie Bell in the press release.

15,000 participants, between the ages of 6 and 18 in Puerto Rico, are served by BGCPR.

Four Boys and Girls Clubs in Puerto Rico will receive the books, specifically in Las Margaritas, Bayamón, Aguas Buenas and Carolina.

“Whenever tragedy strikes, everyone wants to help. Collecting books is one small thing we can do locally to help,” Bell said. “I am so proud of our volunteers who worked hard to make this donation possible.”