Police line (copy)

A woman died Monday, Sept. 22, 2020 after being shot by an Oconee County deputy.

A woman died after being shot by an Oconee County Sheriff's Office deputy on Creek View Court in Athens Monday morning, according to a press release from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

Two OCSO deputies responded to a domestic dispute call around 10:30 a.m. They met with the male caller who said the woman, who the GBI identified as Julia Moss, 40, of Athens, was inside the residence and had hit him in the head “with an object” and was being aggressive toward him. The deputies entered the residence and located Moss, who was armed with a knife and holding a lit blowtorch, according to the release.

The deputies attempted to resolve the situation for about 17 minutes by telling Moss to put the knife down. At one point, Moss made a verbal threat and charged at the deputies with the knife, according to the release. One deputy fired their weapon multiple times and struck Moss, according to the release.

The deputies called for emergency medical assistance, but Moss died on the scene. It was also determined that another man was “barricaded inside the residence” and had been hiding from Moss for several hours due to her aggressive behavior. No deputies were injured during the incident, according to the release.

The OCSO requested that the GBI perform an investigation regarding the shooting. Moss will be transported to the GBI crime lab for an autopsy, according to the release.

wjabbe

https://www.redandblack.com/athensnews/athens-woman-dies-after-being-shot-by-oconee-county-deputy/article_d82f5c82-fcc6-11ea-a410-e3dc06bdfeaf.html

This death of a suspect by officers appears to be justified in self defense. A few months ago April 23, 2020, was the 28th year after a UGA student Jennifer Stone was murdered in her apartment behind the Bus Station in downtown Athens. In this “unsolved” case, the government has gone to extensive lengths to keep the police investigation hidden and under secret wraps. An excellent article was published on her death April 19, 2012 by Adina Soloman, updated Sept. 4, 2014 at this link:

https://www.redandblack.com/news/after-20-years-university-student-murder-still-unsolved/article_08155807-e68b-5c9f-8df9-e40df9aa2e88.html I posted two comments to this article then, which are still posted and still relevant today some 8 years later. The government has had its chance to solve this “unsolved” crime over 28 years ago in Athens, Georgia. The laws must be changed to permit citizens to be provided all government held secret information from this criminal investigation instead of continuing to keep it all a carefully guarded secret by the full military force and power of government. How do we lowly citizens know the government has been totally honest and forthright in their investigation? We don’t. The son of a powerful local judge was involved. By continuing to keep the investigative files secret, only adds to citizen suspicions that government is hiding the truth. Secrecy is the enemy of the truth. Secrecy is what corrupt totalitarian governments do but in Athens, Georgia too? The chance government will ever solve this case now is zero. Lawmakers of Georgia, please open this case up to the light of truth and the light of honesty and the light of day for a change? This Judge is dead now. Why continue this latest corrupt Georgia Supreme Court Decision also made in secret? Winfield J. Abbe, Ph.D., Physics citizen for 54 years.

JDMoose1 Grady96

PLEASE, in these trying times, be careful about your headlines vs "the story"... I realize that "If it bleeds it leads," but especially with what is going on in the US right now, certain ways of phrasing your headlines can be inciting, especially if someone doesn't read the article, or, as Walter Cronkite used to say..."the rest of the story." As an Editor, you've got lots of student reporters looking at you for direction on how to be a good journalist. Make sure you live up to it! (Grady grad '96, wrote occasionally for R&B)