160611_ATS_hotcorner_081.jpg

People stay in the shade to keep cool at the Hot Corner Celebration in Athens, Georgia, June 11, 2016. (Photo/Austin Steele)

With the anticipation of the 18th Hot Corner Food and Music Festival, co-owner of the World Famous, David Eduardo and Montu Miller brought are blending politics with Athens nightlife and raise funds for the upcoming festival.

The Town Hall Benefit Bash for Hot Corner Fest on May 10 will host local performers, a raffle and a variety of Athens candidates. Every local candidate has been invited to participate and candidates such as Kelly Girtz, Imani Scott-Blackwell, Tommy Valentine and Melissa Link will be attending, among others.

The event will be at the World Famous and begins at 9 p.m. and continues until midnight. A $5 donation is suggested at the door.

"Black people helped build the university, and black people make this town a very nice and value place to live. This festival celebrates our culture at a very high level."

-Montu Miller, Athens activist

Candidates are given three minutes to speak on their platforms, and the performers will include Athens-based artists such as Eric Johnson and Claire Campbell.

"It's political season, so this event is for people who didn't necessarily go to the forums or couldn't make the events during the daytime," said Miller, who has been involved with Hot Corner Fest for the past eight years. "We wanted to bring the politicians to the night scene in Athens."

Though there are fewer black-owned businesses at the Hot Corner than there was at the start, the Hot Corner Festival has grown over the past 18 years. One way this festival is able to continue to grow is through benefit events such as this Town Hall Benefit Bash, Miller said.

The Hot Corner Festival is a celebration of black arts, Miller said.

"There are black people all over Athens," Miller said. "Black people helped build the university, and black people make this town a very nice and value place to live. This festival celebrates our culture at a very high level."

The Hot Corner Festival will take place on June 8 and 9 with Athens food vendors and performers.