milledge accident

Athens-Clarke County police clean up after the accident involving a moped driver and a dump truck Wednesday morning. Photo: Nate Harris

UPDATE: On the morning of Wednesday, March 29, an accident occurred on South Milledge Avenue in Five Points between a moped driver and garbage truck driver.

The moped driver has been identified as a 27-year-old woman from Athens.

According to Athens-Clarke County Police Public Information Officer Eppi Rodriguez, the woman is in stable condition.

Details regarding the accident are unknown at this time, but no fatalities occurred.

Police are still asking anyone with information relating to the incident to contact Officer Elder at 706-208-1718, ext 233.

Please return to the redandblack.com for updates.

ORIGINAL: A moped driver was injured in an accident on South Milledge Avenue near South Lumpkin Street Wednesday morning.

According to Eppi Rodriguez, the public information officer for the Athens-Clarke County Police Department, the incident was originally called in as a pedestrian and a dump truck accident. At the scene, however, responding officers towed a damaged moped.

A officer on the scene said the victim was injured and transported to the hospital, but there were no fatalities on-scene.

Rodriguez said it is unclear if the injured person is a University of Georgia student, and asked anyone with information relating to the incident to contact Officer Elder at 706-208-1718, ext 233.

Please return to redandblack.com for updates.