Burgerim

Merguez beef burger, California style, and one veggie burger, classic style with Burgerim's signature fries. The restaurant opened on East Broad Street on Feb. 27. 

Athens is never short on new businesses coming to town. From one announcement to another, these past few months have been saturated with “coming soon” hype.

Here are a few of the businesses you might have missed that are coming to the Classic City.

190304_rmw_restaurants_002 (1).jpg

Fully Loaded Pizza Co. will be moving into the former Waffle House in the Five Points Neighborhood. (Photo/Rebecca Wright)

Fully Loaded Pizza Co.

• Opening: April 2019
  • Story: The restaurant which first opened its doors in Watkinsville will open its second location in Five Points, in the building formerly occupied by a Waffle House which closed in June 2018. 
  • Style: Pizzeria to sell pizza, pasta, wings and more
  • Location: 1255 South Milledge Ave.

20190221_dr_barmugs0002.jpg

Whiskey Bent is located off Clayton St. in Athens, Georgia. The popular bar is undergoing renovations on Feb. 21, 2019. (Photo/Daniela Rico)

Chops & Hops

• Opening: Prior to the 2019 UGA football season
  • Story: The owners of Whiskey Bent decided to convert the popular downtown bar into a casual fine dining restaurant, Chops & Hops. The bar will shut down sometime this month, and construction is expected to begin soon, although a specific date has not been set.
  • Style: Popular downtown bar turned steakhouse
  • Location: 335 E. Clayton St., formerly Whiskey Bent Bar

piggly wiggly

110 apartments, a 10,000 square foot grocery store and 17,000 square feet of additional retail and commercial space will be constructed on the former St. Joseph's Catholic Church property at 100 Prince Ave. The grocery store was confirmed to be Piggly Wiggly.

Piggly Wiggly

• Opening: TBA
  • Story: After some speculation, it was officially confirmed that a Piggly Wiggly would fill the 10,000 square foot grocery space in a mixed-use development project on Prince Avenue. Apartments and retail space will accompany the grocery store.  
  • Style: Grocery store
  • Location: 100 Prince Ave.

190304_ajw_burgerim_0001.jpg

Burgerim serves customizable burgers at 351 E. Broad Street in downtown Athens. (Photo/Tony Walsh)

Burgerim

• Opened: Feb. 27
  • Story: Meaning “many burgers,” Burgerim officially opened in February, offering many options and combinations of burger styles. The restaurant opened eight months after renovations began.
  • Style: Gourmet burger joint
  • Location: 351 E. Broad St.

190304_rmw_restaurants_003 (1).jpg

El Barrio will be moving into this renovated house on Milledge Avenue within the next year. The mexican restaurant is run by the SP2 Hospitality who also own The Pine and The Root. (Photo/Rebecca Wright)

El Barrio

• Opening: April 2019
  • Story: El Barrio, which means “the neighborhood” in Spanish, will offer low-priced Mexican-style food while also bringing a neighborly feel to the Five Points area, the owners said.
  • Style: Mexican-style restaurant
  • Location: 1331 South Milledge Ave.

For more updates on changes to the business scene in Athens, check out our first “Business Bulletin.”

Correction: In a previous version of this article, the address for Fully Loaded Pizza Co. was incorrectly stated. This has since then been corrected. The Red & Black regrets these errors.