170321_ATS_CampusCarryProtest_0011 (2).jpg

Protesters gather in arch to voice their opinion about the campus carry law in Athens, Georgia, Tuesday, March 21, 2017. (Photo/Austin Steele, info@austinsteelephoto.com)

After years of debate, protests, edits, setbacks and victories, HB 280,also known as Campus Carry, went into effect in the state of Georgia on July 1. As UGA heads into its first full length semester of the new law, The Red & Black has put together a set of frequently asked questions to make sure you know everything you need to know.

What is Campus Carry?: Campus Carry is the informal name for a conglomeration of recent bills looking legalize the carrying of concealed weapons on property owned and leased by university.

Wasn’t that vetoed?: Yes, Governor Deal vetoed HB 859 on May 3, 2016.

An updated version of the bill was introduced the following year in 2017, known as HB 280. After lawmakers addressed Deal’s concerns regarding exemptions within HB 859, they passed a newer version of Campus Carry legislation that Deal signed into law this year on May 4.

So who can bring a gun to campus?: Concealed carry permit holders will be now be able to bring their handguns to campus. In order to obtain a concealed carry permit in the state of Georgia, one must be over the age of 21 and go through an application process with their local probate court. This process requires fingerprints, a criminal history and background check and a mental health clearance if the applicant has a history of mental health issues. Georgia also honors reciprocity agreements with over 30 other states.

Just handguns?: Yes.

Can you carry a gun anywhere?: No, there are several exemptions. Buildings that host athletic events, student housing buildings such as dorms and Greek houses, preschool or childcare facilities, classrooms with dual-enrolled high school students, faculty offices and any space used for disciplinary hearings.

Do tailgates and gyms count as athletic events?: No, the legislation specifies that tailgates and student recreation facilities are not subject to exemption. It should also be noted that it is illegal to carry while under the influence of alcohol, so you shouldn’t expect to see many guns at tailgates.

What about field trips and excursions away from the University?

Campus Carry does not apply to institution-sponsored events or excursions away from campus on property not leased or owned by a University System institution.

License-holders who wish to carry handguns on campus will be responsible for understanding carrying laws. Additionally, institutions will not erect signs outside restricted areas or provide gun storage facilities.

Thunderboltoftruth

The most important thing about Campus Carry that was completely ignored in this article? 1 month in, and no one is dead. No one has been shot. No one has pulled a gun. No one has so much as threatened to pull a gun. The amount of FUD that R&B is continuing to spread regarding this law and their fixation on it is ridiculous and needs to stop. It hasn't caused any problems yet, and if the "Guns Everywhere" bill from several years ago (that was the subject of many of the same "fears" and criticisms) is used as an example, won't ever do so.

FirstAmendment

And one month of no deaths is monumental to you? Perhaps you need to do more research outside of this country and compare the numbers of deaths attributed to guns in countries where guns are not allowed versus the numbers of deaths here. Are you even a UGA student? Stop reading R&B if you feel that they're ridiculous. You want the right to carry but not the right to speak freely?