Mayor and Commission 2/5/19

The Athens-Clarke County Mayor works with a 10-member Commission to pass legislation. (Photo/Spencer Donovan)

UPDATE: In addition to the 20 projects which were recommended based on their original proposals, an additional 14 projects had alternate versions recommended. 

The Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax Citizens Advisory Committee narrowed down its scope of recommended projects for 2020 from 88 to 34 after several months of meeting. 

Twenty projects were advanced based on their original proposals. Another 14 were recommended based on alternate proposals. The CAC narrowed down the list of projects to account for 150 percent of the SPLOST 2020 budget.

Half of the originally proposed projects were rejected by the CAC. For the projects moving forward, the original funding per project was either kept as listed in the original proposal or altered.

After these first revisions, the CAC’s 150 percent budget goal of approximately $299 million delegates approximately 82 percent of funding for social well-being projects, 12 percent for environmental protection projects and 5 percent for economic prosperity projects, according to a breakdown provided by ACC Manager Blaine Williams.

The CAC must revise these 20 projects down to fit the final SPLOST 2020 budget of $248 million.

At the next meeting between the CAC and ACC mayor and commissioners on Tuesday, March 26, the ACC mayor and commissioners plan to “lock some of the [projects] in place,” ACC Mayor Kelly Girtz said in an email.

The next step for the CAC is to further revise the funding for projects to account for 100 percent of the SPLOST 2020 budget.

Out of the 44 projects rejected, the Flint, Michigan Avoidance Project for ACC had the highest estimated cost at approximately $96 million with an expected increase in annual expenses of $385,000.

The CAC left some projects without a formal decision, where 10 projects were neither recommended or rejected.

The proposal to build a new courthouse for ACC falls under the “neither recommended or rejected” level.

Editor's Note: The original version of this story did not mention the projects which had alternate versions recommended. The error has since been corrected.