1.jpg

Frances Berry, a former board member of the Clarke County Board of Education, poses for a portrait before her swearing in ceremony at the H.T. Edwards Building in Athens, Georgia on Thursday, March 7, 2019. Berry was filling the vacant position after Vernon Payne stepped down in January. (Photo/Caroline Barnes, http://carolinembarnes.wixsite.com/photography)

Clarke County School District Board of Education member Frances Berry has resigned from the board effective Nov. 15, according to a CCSD press release from Nov. 17.

In her resignation letter, she cited "personal reasons" as the cause. The resignation is effective immediately.

"I greatly appreciated the opportunity to serve alongside my fellow board members in a cause we all believe in — the education of every child," Berry wrote in the letter.

Berry’s term will end on Dec. 31, 2020, according to the press release.

Berry was filling a vacancy left by Vernon Payne, who vacated his position due to health concerns in January. Per Georgia law, the remaining members of the board will appoint a “qualified resident of the education district” to serve for the remainder of Berry’s unexpired term, the release said.

CCSD will begin an application process for residents of District 2 looking to fill Berry’s vacancy at an unspecified date in the future.