Clarke County school bus

Clarke County School District and the Athens-Clarke County Police Department are “working as partners” after a 13-year-old CCSD student was found responsible for a school threat posted on social media.

Throughout the academic year, many public school students rely on school lunch for proper nutrition. In fact, one in five children struggle with hunger in the state of Georgia alone. When the school year ends, students struggling with hunger risk losing this secure meal, and the Clarke County School District is well aware of that.

That is why, after the Athens Housing Authority ended its sponsorship of the Summer Student Service Program earlier this year, CCSD decided to take the reins.

The AHA sponsored the program for 28 years, and cited an extensive demand of its resources as its motive for stepping down.

Now called the Seamless Summer Option, CCSD will continue to supply almost 44,000 meals a day to local students, in a variety of ways.

Summer school, which began on June 3 throughout the district, will provide breakfast and lunch to students at no cost.

Several schools around the district will be open for meal service during these same dates. Children up to 18 years old can receive free meals, and adult meals will be $3.75.

Summer mobile sites, previously run by the AHA, will still be in use and CCSD will continue its partnership with Action Ministries for delivery services. These will run from June 3 to July 19, starting at 11 a.m and ending at 1 p.m and feature 19 different delivery sites.