Charlie Bailey

A Democratic prosecutor and graduate of the University of Georgia has stepped up to challenge the Republican incumbent for the position of Georgia’s attorney general in the election this spring.

Charlie Bailey attended UGA for an undergraduate and law degree. His campaign platform is based on protecting Georgia’s families from crime, corruption and consumer fraud. Bailey said he will be a prosecutor, not an insider politician, who will put the safety of Georgians first.

Bailey recently stepped down from his three-and-a-half years as a senior gang prosecutor in Fulton county in order to run for attorney general. Before the gang unit, Bailey worked as an attorney with former Gov. Roy Barnes.

“Charlie has a lifelong history of working for a better Georgia,” said Athens-Clarke County District 9 Commissioner Kelly Girtz. “I couldn’t be more excited to support a candidate for statewide office in Georgia.”

Bailey centered his campaign around his legal experience and according to David Shipley, UGA Law professor, this sets Bailey apart from current Georgia Attorney General Chris Carr on the level of experience.

“Charlie has more hands-on experience in the courtroom than Chris Carr, who spent a lot of time as an assistant for Johnny Isakson,” Shipley said.

Carr was appointed in 2016 by Gov. Nathan Deal. Carr is seeking a full four-year term in November and Bailey is the first known challenger against the incumbent.

“Of the two major candidates for attorney general, Charlie Bailey is the one with the most hands-on experience as a trial lawyer, both as a prosecutor and as an attorney representing ordinary Georgians in civil matters,” UGA School of Law professor Thomas Eaton said. “He’s a career lawyer, not a career politician, and that is the type of person whom I believe should be attorney general.”

The state of Georgia is currently a Republican triplex, which means one party holds the following positions in state government: Governor, attorney general and secretary of state.

Should Bailey win the election for attorney general, he would break up the triplex and bring a Democratic voice to an almost entirely red state.

“He has worked as a tireless prosecutor in the courtroom to make our cities safer, has supported nonprofits that work to eliminate poverty, and he has the relationship-building capacity to work for those across every segment of the state,” Girtz said.

Check back for more coverage on Chris Carr, Georgia’s current attorney general at redandblack.com.