Arch

Athens locals and University of Georgia students met at the Arch on the UGA’s North Campus for the annual “Nightmare on Broad Street Ghost Tour” on Oct. 23–24, 2018. 

In protest of recent events involving Immigration and Customs Enforcement separating children from their parents at the southern U.S. border, local organizations in Athens have organized a rally at the University of Georgia Arch.

The “Families Belong Together” rally, which will be held Saturday, June 30 at 10 a.m., is part of a national movement to keep migrant families together, the Facebook event page said.

Other rallies of the same name are slated to take place in Atlanta and other cities throughout the U.S. on the same date.

The rally in Atlanta is expected to start at the Atlanta City Detention Center and end at the Richard B. Russell Federal Building, the event page said. The page says that over 50 local organizations and several speakers are expected to attend the event.

The Athens Immigrant Rights Coalition, Dignidad Inmigrante en Athens, U-Lead Athens and Athens For Everyone are among the hosts for the Athens rally.

Politicians including District 5 Commissioner-elect Tim Denson and District 117 Georgia House representative Deborah Gonzalez are likely to attend the local gathering, based on their responses to the facebook page.

“Family separation in USA history is a tool of oppression,” the Facebook event page reads. “Indefinitely (sic) detention of migrant families is not a solution, keep families together, not in cages, not in prison.”