Bus_Route_14

An Athens Transit bus drives down South Milledge Avenue in Athens, Georgia on Thursday, Aug. 23, 2018. (Photo/Caitlin Jett, caitie.jett@gmail.com)

As part of the $4 million “prosperity package” in Athens-Clarke County 2020 budget, approved on June 5, senior citizens (65 years and older), people with disabilities and government employees will ride ACC transit fixed-route service fare-free starting July 1.

ACC transit operates 20 routes throughout the day and nine routes on weekends and evenings. Routes operate throughout downtown, the University of Georgia, and from Lexington Road on the east side and Georgia Square Mall in the west to Athens Area Technical Institute up North and south on Macon Highway.

However, those eligible will need proof of age, certified disability or county employment to claim fare-free travel. Those eligible will receive identification cards who do not have another form of government issued ID.

People eligible for riding fare-free are implored to use their remaining purchased tickets by June 30, as they will become invalid on July 1.

“Providing transit support for these additional riders adds significant value to our community. Those who have been isolated or challenged by mobility needs will be able to readily access resources throughout the community, and Athens-Clarke County employees will be able to heighten their advocacy for transit while freeing-up key parking locations,” Mayor Kelly Girtz said in an ACC press release.