Carol Myers Commission District 8

Carol Myers has worked as an administrator at Athens Technical College and chairs the Athens in Motion Commission, which works to improve Athens' bike and pedestrian infrastructure.

Carol Myers, a former teacher and administrator, officially announced her candidacy for Athens-Clarke County Commission District 8 in a Nov. 7 press release.

The District 8 seat is currently held by University of Georgia professor Andy Herod, who announced he would not seek re-election in early September. Myers joins local therapist Andrea Farnham, who announced her candidacy in June, in the race.

“I’m running because I care about the Eastside, and I want to make it thrive,” Myers said in the release. “I want my children and grandchildren--and all of us and our families and friends--to have a bright future here on the Eastside and throughout Athens.”

Myers is running on a platform that includes criminal justice reform, fighting climate change on a local level and making Athens “more just and equitable,” according to the release. Myers has created a website and Facebook page that offer a more expansive view of her platform.

Myers has lived in the Athens area for 35 years and currently serves as the chairperson of the Athens in Motion Commission, a program to improve ACC’s bike and pedestrian infrastructure. Myers also was involved in the 100% Athens Renewable Energy Initiative and works with Envision Athens, a movement advocating for community unity, according to the release.