190304_rmw_restaurants_002 (1).jpg

Fully Loaded Pizza Co. will be moving into the former Waffle House in the Five Points Neighborhood. (Photo/Rebecca Wright)

Another new restaurant is coming to the Five Points area, and this time pizza is in the oven. Fully Loaded Pizza Co. is opening its second location on South Milledge Avenue in mid-April.

Fully Loaded will occupy the building where the Five Points Waffle House used to be. The Waffle House closed in June 2018 due to the owner pursuing different real estate investments, its previous manager said in June.

Matt Botwin, general manager for the Five Points location, said the restaurant will have a full pizzeria and bar. Pizza, wings and subs are some of the items on the menu.

Even though there is another pizza place, Your Pie, on South Lumpkin close to Five Points, Botwin said he’s not concerned.

“There really aren’t that many pizza places in the area,” Botwin said. “And am I worried? No, I’m not worried or concerned at all.”

Botwin emphasized Fully Loaded is a family-oriented restaurant, and he said Five Points is good for that kind of environment.

District 4 Commissioner Allison Wright, who represents the area, recognized the benefit of giving people the option to walk to restaurants nearby and sees how it would appeal to the family demographic Botwin hopes to attract.

President of the Five Points Business Association and owner of Bella Salon, Tina Eckard, said she’s excited about having another pizza place in Five Points, just a couple blocks away from her own business.

Eckard has seen a surge of businesses in Five Points as a good sign, especially restaurants. The Expat and The Pine, which opened in 2018 and 2016 respectively, are a couple of examples that have added to the area’s personality as a hub for higher-end dining spots.

“I’ve seen a lot of changes in Five Points,” Eckard said. “At one time, there were very few businesses in this area.”

However, Wright thinks differently regarding the effects new businesses have on her district.

“Some of the changes are quite disappointing to me,” Wright said. “I think some of these establishments are more expensive.”

Wright said she’s noticed less “college hangouts” in the area, saying those kinds of establishments had low prices which were more accessible to more residents.

Prices at the Watkinsville location range from $13 for a small 11-inch pizza to $26 for a large 18-inch pizza.

Correction: In a previous version of this article, the address for Fully Loaded Pizza Co. was incorrectly stated. This has since then been corrected. The Red & Black regrets these errors.