March Urbach

Marc Urbach, with a copy of his book, poses with a supporter. Urbach withdrew from the gubernatorial campaign on May 1, 2018. 

Author, former business owner and Dunwoody resident Marc Urbach withdrew his gubernatorial campaign on May 1 after nine months of campaigning, just three weeks before the primary election. 

As someone who has never run for political office before, Urbach said he faced challenges throughout his campaign as a Republican candidate for the Georgia governor position.

“So many individuals within the system have done things to me … to negate my campaign,” Urbach said. “There’s no way I can win, and with only three weeks left, I decided I was going to pull out and try to get my [money back].”

He paid approximately $4,000 to qualify as a candidate and largely self-funded his campaign.

“No one gives money to someone unless they think they can win, and since I haven’t held political office before, [my Christian friends] just haven’t written me a check,” Urbach said.

He accepted 14 checks, all of which were $150 or less, Urbach said. For the first eight months, he didn’t ask for donations.

“That was a mistake. I should’ve asked for money the first eight months, but I didn’t because I’ve never liked asking for money,” Urbach said.

Urbach initially ran because of his passion to help all Georgia residents.

“I ran because I love Georgians. I love my daughter and other people’s children, and I felt compelled to put my hand in the ring,” Urbach said. “The government is so corrupt. I said to myself I’m a lot more qualified than these politicians in the gold dome. They lie, they deceive … so I said I’m gonna work, I’m gonna make a difference.”

Urbach still holds the belief that politicians are corrupt, which is why he refers to himself as a statesman rather than a politician.

Although he ended his campaign just short of the primaries, Urbach plans to run for an office position in the future. When he does, he will run as an Independent.

“People look at the R and go ‘That’s my person.’ They look at the D and go ‘That’s my person.’ We’ve got to stop that. That’s not healthy for any town, state or nation,” Urbach said.

Urbach took inspiration from George Washington’s Farewell Address, which warns of the dangers of political parties.

“Republicans drop your R and put an A. Democrats drop your D and put an A. We are all Americans,” Urbach said.

The idea of straying away from political parties is a central theme of Urbach’s book “Believe: Do We Need a Third Great Awakening?”

Now that he is no longer in the race, Urbach has publicly endorsed candidate Michael Williams, who is currently a Georgia State senator.

“He’s not been corrupted like the other politicians. He’s a good man,” Urbach said. “I feel he is much more qualified than any of the other candidates. And he’s facing the battle I faced that when you speak the truth, people don’t want to hear the truth.”

Had he continued his campaign, Urbach’s top priorities as governor would have been improving and encouraging education, holding the government accountable for the people of Georgia and addressing the traffic problems in Atlanta.

What Georgia needs from a governor, Urbach said, is someone who will represent the people of Georgia.

“A man or woman who’s going to represent the people of Georgia and not the special interests of lobbyists and corporations and do what’s right for the state of Georgia,” Urbach said. “There’s a huge difference between a statesman like myself and a politician.”

Without Urbach in the race, Republicans have six candidates to chose from in the primaries. 

Check back at theredandblack.com for profiles and more coverage of the candidates for Georgia governor.