190114_GMA_Kemp0041.jpg

Gov. Brian Kemp waves to an enthusiastic crowd before giving his inaugural address in the McCamish Pavilion on Monday, Jan. 14, 2019, in Atlanta, Georgia. Kemp’s first duties as governor after his inauguration included swearing in other elected officials into office. (Photo/Gabriella Audi, www.gabbyaudi10.wixsite.com/mysite-1)

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp signed the restrictive abortion bill known as the “Heartbeat Bill” into law on Tuesday.

House Bill 481, known as the “Heartbeat Bill,” was one of the most controversial bills this legislative session. It called for the banning of abortions once a fetal heartbeat is detected, which occurs at approximately six weeks, before many women know they are pregnant.

Kemp promised this bill to be “the toughest abortion bill in the country.” The legislation passed the House and Senate in March. The bill will likely challenge the national Roe v. Wade Supreme Court ruling and has sparked controversy in-state and nationwide.

University of Georgia students held a Commit to Choice protest where 50 students marched from Tate Plaza to the Arch, joined by former Georgia representatives Deborah Gonzalez and Jonathan Wallace. Businesses such as Coca-Cola and Amazon have expressed their discontent with the bill as well.

Actress Alyssa Milano brought forth a petition signed by other Georgia film workers threatening a boycott should the law pass. However, it is uncertain how much impact these threats will have on Georgia’s growing film industry.