Stacey Abrams

Stacey Abrams addresses a crowd on Sept. 19, 2016. 

Ahead of the gubernatorial elections on Nov. 6, the race for Georgia’s governor is in full swing.

A slew of Republican candidates, including Lieutenant Governor Casey Cagle, Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp and former state senator Hunter Hill, have stepped forward in the race.

Democrats Stacey Abrams and Stacey Evans are also running to fill the seat that Nathan Deal has held since 2010.

While most candidates have maintained a relatively low profile in the press, one of the Democratic candidates just made their debut on national T.V.

On Jan. 10, Abrams, minority leader in the state House of Representatives, appeared in a five-minute segment titled “Road to 2018” on the TBS talk show ‘Full Frontal with Samantha Bee.’ The YouTube video has garnered over 288,000 views so far. 

Abrams, a graduate of Spelman College, is the first woman to lead either party in the Georgia General Assembly and the first African-American to lead in the House of Representatives.

If elected, she would be the country’s first female, African-American governor. She would also be both Georgia's first female and first African-American governor.

In the video, interviewer Ashley Nicole Black begins by asking Abrams for her credentials.

Abrams worked as a speechwriter on a campaign when she was only 17, worked for the mayor of Atlanta, interned at both the Environmental Protection Agency and Office of Management Board, became a tax attorney and ran for state legislature, all while writing romantic suspense novels on the side.

When Black asks Abrams how the Democratic Party could “rise again” in the South, Abrams responds with her voter strategy.

“The thing the GOP has done effectively for the last 40 years is talked to voters that other people ignored. That’s something Democrats have been afraid to do,” Abrams said. “My goal is to reverse engineer what Republicans did.”

Black asked Abrams during the interview if her gender or race has affected how people treat her during her career.

“I will say that sometimes my style caused friction, but I take that as a badge of honor because they may not like me, but they respected me enough to elect me every single time,” Abrams said.

Abrams cited an instance of her policy understanding with an anecdote describing how she convinced Republican representative Bobby Franklin to vote against an anti-abortion bill.

Black jokes that Abrams exemplifies “black girl magic,” a popular catchphrase used to empower black women.

“Is that what black girl magic is? Because I thought it was wearing [Rihanna’s makeup line] Fenty,” Black said.

Black also calls Abrams “the political Shonda Rhimes,” which Abrams calls “the nicest compliment” she could be given. This leads to an extended parody of political drama ‘Scandal’ and comedy series ‘Atlanta,’ which closes out the video.

These associations with popular culture speak to Abrams’ relative youth–– she is only 44, which is younger than the average Democratic politician. 

shelljami000

At my early 40’s, as a wife and mother that has enjoyed a peaceful and successful marriage for 15 years, I vividly saw the failure and success of my parent’s failed marriage, why it fell apart for almost 30 years.
As an adult, I learned that my parent can be united again spiritually. Eventhough other method failed over the years I stood tall and intervene with determination.
On my quest to achieving spiritual intervention, I met Dr. Wakina Love Temple via: dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com who clarified my vision and mission by pointing out thoroughly the reasons why my parent couldn’t settle in marriage and why they couldn’t find love elsewhere.
Tears of joy rushed down our faces days after the completion of the spell as our Dad traveled over 2,000km to make peace with our Mom. It was a beginning of a new era watching them grow old together forever in love.
We couldn’t thank Dr. Wakina enough for visualizing our dream and adding more years to our parent.
At the end, I learned that it’s always good to put your visions into practice.