Hotel Indigo proposal

Hotel Indigo is aiming to expand to a nearby parking lot on Strong Street, currently owned by Athens-Clarke County. Above is a rendering of the "mixed-used development" which may consist of hotel rooms and office space.

On Tuesday night, Athens-Clarke County Commissioners held a special session to discuss selling a city parking lot on Strong Street to Athens Hospitality Holdings Group, the company that owns Hotel Indigo.

At the meeting, commissioners agreed to Athens Hospitality Holding's letter of intent, which proposed constructing a "mixed-use development" consisting of around 45 hotel rooms, a restaurant, a rooftop bar, office space for Athens-Clarke County Economic Development Department and multipurpose space. 

"The project will serve as a destination for business travelers, makers, and entrepreneurs by creating a space that will encourage collaboration opportunities across a wide variety of interests," said the Athens-Clarke County Economic Development Department in a press release.

The commission voted unanimously to begin discussions with the Athens Hospitality Holdings Group.