200822_TMG_PoliceCar

A police car's lights flash in downtown Athens, Georgia on Saturday, Aug. 22, 2020. (Photo/Taylor Gerlach; @taylormckenzie_photo)

An inmate in the Athens-Clarke County jail died on Friday afternoon, according to a press release from the Clarke County sheriff’s office. 

44-year-old Calvin Jamain Cunningham collapsed around 2:50 p.m. while walking up stairs in a housing unit at the jail, according to the release. After deputies and medical staff attempted to stabilize his condition, Cunningham was transferred to the hospital by EMS and was pronounced dead.

Cunningham was being held on a misdemeanor probation violation sentence, according to the release. 

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation is handling the death investigation, according to the release, but early reports of the incident show that Mr. Cunningham died of natural causes. 

Cunningham’s body will undergo medical examination at the GBI crime lab, according to the release.

wjabbe

When an inmate in a county jail in Georgia dies or is harmed in custody, it is a blatant conflict of interest to have an autopsy done at the GBI Crime Lab or allow them to do the investigation. They operate in secret just like any totalitarian government where the full military force and power of government is brought forth to protect this secrecy. Such medical examinations must be performed at totally independent and open laboratories possibly even in other States. The corrupt 28+ Jennifer Stone Murder behind the Bus Station in 1992 is an example of how the truth has been covered up by corrupt secret agencies of corrupt Georgia Government. This all a shameful disgrace to every good Georgia Citizen and Taxpayer. What do these agencies fear from opening up these corrupt investigations to the light of day and the light of truth? Observe the deafening silence of UGA and its many cowardly professors on this basic issue of honestly and truth in Georgia Government. This corrupt government secrecy is a shameful disgrace to every good Georgia citizen and taxpayer. Winfield J. Abbe, Ph.D., Physics citizen for 54 years. I graduated in physics from UC Berkeley in 1961. Its Motto is: "LET THERE BE LIGHT". This means let there be openness and honesty and truth in all things, not corrupt secrecy like any garden variety totalitarian country. She could be your daughter too! All secrecy does is protect dishonesty and corruption from exposure.