Judd Drake 2

Judd Drake is the sole finalist for the Athens-Clarke County Unified Government Attorney position.

Mayor Kelly Girtz announced that Judd Drake is the sole finalist for the Athens-Clarke County Unified Government Attorney position in a June 5 news release. Bill Berryman, the current attorney is retiring on June 30 after 16 years in the position.

Drake obtained his undergraduate degree in business from The University of Georgia in 1993. In 1996, he obtained his law degree from the Walter F. George School of Law at Mercer University.

In the release, Girtz praised Drake for his long history of legal practice, namely his time in Macon where he was named Senior Assistant Attorney in 2011, Interim City Attorney in 2012, and served as the first County Attorney in 2014 after the city merged governments with Bibb County and Payne City. Drake was named Interim County Manager in 2017, serving in that role until March 2018.

“[Drake] has demonstrated both the sound judgement and creativity to help us maintain our strengths while moving forward into significant new endeavors that will more fully support the people of this great community,” Girtz said in the release.

Before serving in Macon-Bibb, Drake practiced law for more than 11 years in his hometown of Metter, Georgia, where he represented clients and practiced in areas of education law, local government law and real estate.

Starting in 1999, Drake served as the Candler County attorney for 11 years. He served as an attorney for the Candler County Board of Education from 2001-2004 and as the Chief Magistrate Court Judge of Candler County from 2000-2004. Before moving to Macon, Drake was elected State Court Judge of Candler County.

The ACC attorney position provides legal services to the ACC mayor, commission, constitutional officers and all other departments and divisions of the ACCUG. 

The ACC attorney's office also handles prosecuting and defending lawsuits that are not covered by liability insurance, drafts ordinances to be considered for adoption, drafts or reviews government contracts and communicates with federal and state agencies. 

Girtz will make a recommendation for Drake's approval at a Special Called Session on June 18 to the ACC Commission. If approved, the two-year appointment will begin July 1.

The attorney position provides legal services to the ACC mayor and commission, the manager, constitutional officers and other departments and divisions of the ACC government.