Piedmont Hospital Renovations

An ongoing expansion at Piedmont Athens Regional Medical Center consists of two phases of construction which will be completed by 2022. (Photo/Caitlin Jett)

Expansive building renovations, including new towers and patient units, are in store for Piedmont Athens Regional Medical Center. Due to be completed in 2022, this project will continue to fulfill the center’s mission to provide care for the Athens community.

Founded in 1919 and joining the Piedmont Healthcare system in 2016, Piedmont Athens Regional Medical Center has been recognized for its quality health care services. In 2018, the Leapfrog Group's fall 2018 Hospital Safety Grade gave Piedmont Regional an “A” and acknowledged it as a Top Teaching Hospital, the only hospital in Georgia with that honor in 2018. U.S. News and World Report named Piedmont Athens as one of the top ten best hospitals in Georgia.

The hospital was granted a Certificate of Need by the Georgia Department of Community Health in October 2018, which entitles Piedmont Athens Regional Medical Center to $171 million for revamping the hospital. 228,691 square feet of the building will be replaced, while another 262,436 square feet will be renovated.

“Overall, this project is going to modernize and improve our hospital's campus,” Todd said. “These improvements have benefits to our hospital staff … such as creating an environment that fosters a safe, efficient patient flow, minimizing delays and distractions.”

The project is made up of two major phases, said Diane Todd, executive director of operations at Piedmont Athens Regional Medical Center.

Phase I, expected to finish this spring, began in October 2018. This phase includes expanding a patient unit in Prince Tower Two and the eventual addition of a fourth floor to the three-story building.

Phase II will include constructing a new patient tower for the hospital. This phase will also include demolishing the 1919 tower, currently 100 years old.

Phase II will also consist of constructing a six-story tower, Todd said, with plans to include the creation of a new basement. This tower will contain 64 new patient beds.

“Construction of the new tower will take approximately 24 months to complete,” Todd said.

These new towers will provide Piedmont Athens with additional resources to serve patients in both Athens and northeast Georgia. Areas of the hospital that are more than 100 years old will gain state-of-the-art facilities in its place.