voting 2020 009.jpg

Memorial Park Rec Hall in Athens, Georgia, served as one of the polling locations for Athens-Clarke County voting on Tuesday, June 9, 2020. All volunteers at the community center wore masks and gloves and made sure that voters remained 6 feet apart while waiting to vote due to COVID-19. Braden DeLamater, an upcoming freshman at the University of Georgia, checks in voters upon arrival alongside his sister, Amelia. (Photo/Caroline Head)

All election coverage can be found at redandblack.com/election.

Correction: A previous version of this article stated results that did not include absentee or provisional ballots. The Red & Black regrets this error and it has been corrected.

Election results will be certified by the Athens-Clarke County Board of Elections on June 18 at 3 p.m.

A full list of results for the local elections can be found here:

11:50 a.m. The Secretary of State’s website updated with the latest numbers. The website still says that election results are unofficial and may not include all absentee or provisional ballots.

All precincts finished reporting in the Republican primary for the District 9 U.S. House seat. Matt Gurtler has 21.48% of the vote. Andrew Clyde has 18.80%. Gurtler and Clyde will likely advance to a runoff for the Republican nomination. Five candidates in the nine-way race gained more than 10% of the vote.

All precincts finished reporting in the Democratic primary for the District 9 U.S. House seat. Brooke Siskin still leads with 41.47% of the vote. Devin Pandy and Dan Wilson have 32.68% and 25.85% of the vote, respectively. Siskin and Pandy will likely advance to a runoff for the Democratic nomination.

Thursday, 12:37 a.m. The Secretary of State’s website updated with latest election results. Jon Ossoff has 51.11% of the vote in the Democratic Senate primary with 88.89% of precincts reported.

Matt Gurtler is in the lead in the Republican primary for the District 9 U.S. House seat with 21.43% of the vote. Andrew Clyde is in second place with 18.77%, and Paul Broun follows with 13.79% of the vote. 95% of precincts have reported.

In the Democratic primary for the District 9 U.S. House seat, Brooke Siskin leads with 41.41% of the vote. Devin Pandy and Dan Wilson have 32.79% and 25.80% of the vote, respectively. 95% of precincts have reported but it’s likely that Siskin and Pandy will advance to a runoff election.

In the Democratic primary for the District 10 U.S. House seat, Tabitha Johnson-Green has 65.85% of the vote against challenger Andrew Ferguson. 91.3% of precincts have reported. (Republican incumbent Jody Hice ran unopposed in the Republican District 10 primary.)

Joseph R. Biden leads in the Democratic presidential primary with 84.17% of the vote and 87.74% of precincts reported. Bernie Sanders has 9.90% of the vote.

9 p.m. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported that Jon Ossoff won the Democratic primary in the Senate race. The Secretary of State’s website has not been updated since 2:38 p.m. and still shows Ossoff at 49% of the vote. If Ossoff wins the Democratic primary, he will run against incumbent Republican Sen. David Perdue in November.

3:35 p.m. Joseph R. Biden won 70.71% of Clarke County’s vote in the Democratic presidential primary. Bernie Sanders won 20.04% of the vote in the county. 17,154 Democratic ballots were cast in the county. Republican incumbent Donald Trump ran unopposed in the Republican primary, and gained 4,992 votes in Clarke County. Statewide election results have not been announced for the race.

Jon Ossoff won 46.50% of the vote in Clarke County for one of Georgia’s Senate seats. Teresa Pike Tomlinson came in second with 22.68% of the vote. These figures are just for Clarke County. Statewide election results have not been announced for the race.

In the Republican primary for the U.S. House seat in District 9, Paul Broun and Andrew Clyde gained 34.07% and 28.21% of the vote, respectively, in Clarke County. Only one other candidate out of nine total in the primary had more than 10% of the vote in the county — Matt Gurtler with 15.06%.

In the Democratic primary for the U.S. House seat in District 9 Devin Pandy and Brooke Siskin had 39.10% and 35.03% of the vote in the county, respectively. Dan Wilson gained 25.87% of the vote.

Tabitha Johnson-Green won 57.21% of the vote in Clarke County in the Democratic primary for the U.S. House seat in District 10. She is running against Andrew Ferguson. 

Republican incumbent Rep. Jody Hice ran unopposed in the primary for the U.S. House District 10 seat.

John Q. Williams narrowly beat incumbent Sheriff Ira Edwards Jr. in the race for Clarke County sheriff. Williams won 51.05% of the vote — 392 votes ahead of Edwards.

In the only contested Clarke County Board of Education race, Kirrena Gallagher won against Mary Bagby with 53.95% of the vote.

Incumbent District 10 Commissioner Mike Hamby will keep his seat. He ran against challenger Knowa Johnson. Hamby had 69.83% of the vote.

Carol Myers won the District 8 Commission race with 55.22% of the vote. Challengers A. Kamau Hull and Andrea Farnham gained 30.77% and 14.02% of the vote, respectively.

Jerry NeSmith, the incumbent District 6 Commissioner who died on Sunday, won against Jesse Houle. NeSmith garnered 1,864 votes to Houle’s 1,404. The ACC Board of Elections Office has not yet announced what will happen to NeSmith’s votes.

Incumbent District 4 Commissioner Allison Wright will keep her seat. She won with 67.36% of the vote against challenger Michael Stapor.

All Georgia General Assembly candidates ran unopposed in the primaries.

District 2 Commissioner Mariah Parker ran unopposed and will keep her seat with 1,764 votes.

All but one Clarke County Board of Education seat was uncontested. Incumbent Patricia Yager will keep her District 4 seat, Mumbi Anderson won the District 6 seat and Nicole Hull won the District 8 seat.

In other local primary races, three candidates ran unopposed. The following will move on to the general election on Nov. 3 — incumbent Democrat Clerk of Superior Court Beverly Logan, incumbent Democrat Tax Commissioner Toni Meadow and incumbent Democrat Coroner Sonny Wilson.

In local general elections, four candidates ran unopposed. Susan Schaffer won in the probate court judge race. Incumbent Patricia Barron won in the chief magistrate judge race. Incumbent Charles Auslander III won one of the state court judgeships. Incumbent Ethelyn Simpson won the other state court judgeship.

3:35 p.m. Athens-Clarke County released an update that says unofficial results are in, including absentee ballots. All election results will be posted here.

2:33 p.m. The Secretary of State’s website now shows absentee ballot votes. Provisional ballots have not been updated.

2:30 p.m. The ACC Board of Elections told The Red & Black it does not know how many ballots are left to count. The Secretary of State’s website still does not include absentee ballot counts. Clarke County’s election page has not been updated since 11:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Wednesday, 9 a.m. ACC posted a tweet that says the Board of Elections scanned absentee ballots all night. Absentee ballots are still not shown in election results on the Secretary of State’s website.

12:30 a.m. The Secretary of State’s Office has not counted absentee and provisional ballots in vote totals. The ACC Board of Elections said in May that it expects the majority of Athens to vote by absentee ballot. The Red & Black will continue to update as results become available.

11 p.m. All precincts in Athens finished reporting in-person and early votes.

10 p.m. No results have been released. Several polling places across the state extended their hours, although none in Athens did.

8:15 p.m. The Athens-Clarke County Elections Office and the Georgia Secretary of State’s Office have not released any results yet. Polls closed at 7 p.m.

Voters in ACC had pretty smooth experiences Tuesday as some metro Atlanta voters stood in line for hours because of technical issues.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported that some metro area poll workers couldn’t get the state's new voting machines to work, and precincts opened late.

The county elections office expected more than two-thirds of voters to vote by absentee ballot in the combined presidential primary, nonpartisan general election and general party primary.

Voters could place their absentee ballots in one of four drop boxes across the county until 7 p.m. Tuesday.

The Red & Black spoke with people who voted in person Tuesday.