190201_CMB_PoliceCar_002.jpg

An Athens-Clarke County police car parked outside City Hall on College Avenue in downtown Athens, Georgia on Friday, February 1, 2019. (Photo/Caroline Barnes, http://carolinembarnes.wixsite.com/photography)

A 28-year-old man is in “serious condition” at a local hospital after being shot by Athens Clarke-County police on Oct. 5, according to an ACCPD press release.

Police were dispatched shortly to a domestic violence call at 190 Baxter Drive after 5 p.m., according to the release. The man, who was reportedly involved in the domestic violence incident, “brandished a knife in a threatening manner towards our officer.”

“Fearing for his life, our officer discharged his service weapon and struck the male in the torso,” the release said.

Police provided first aid to the man before Emergency Medical Services arrived and transported him to the hospital.

ACCPD has not released the identity of the man or of the officer who was involved. In accordance with ACCPD policy, the officer was placed on administrative leave with pay, and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation has been contacted to investigate the incident.