Cheba Hut

Cheba Hut is a marijuana-themed restaurant established in 1998. The chain has 28 locations spread out across Arizona, Colorado, California, Oregon, New Mexico and Wisconsin. Courtesy photo. 

Following an all-vegan eatery, a cat cafe, and a host of other trendy fusion joints, a new type of restaurant is coming to Athens.

Cheba Hut founder Scott Jennings plans to bring two marijuana-themed sandwich shops to Athens by fall of 2020, targeting University of Georgia students.

Cheba Hut is a marijuana-themed restaurant established in 1998. The menu includes over 30 sub sandwiches, many named after marijuana strains (AK-47, White Widow, Jamaican Red,) a variety of Rice Krispy treats, salads, fresh cut meats, cheeses and produce. Drinks include “cottonmouth cures” like soda and Kool Aid, and most locations have bars that feature local beers.

Sandwich sizes are 4 inches “nug,” 8 inches “pinner,’ and foot-longs “blunts.”

The chain has 28 locations spread out across Arizona, Colorado, California, Oregon, New Mexico and Wisconsin.

College town locations include stores near the University of New Mexico and the University of Wisconsin. Jennings chose Athens as his next destination because of its “great college campus and the way UGA represents itself.”

“[UGA] is in a different league when it comes to wanting to be the best at what they do and that’s something we also believe,” Jennings said.

Jennings is currently scouting locations downtown, specifically on College Avenue and Clayton Street. Locations near college campuses attract students and provides opportunities for part-time employment, Jennings said.

Each location hires about 35 employees, which Jennings likes to call “partners,” and the “true difference maker.” Each location will be encouraged to have their own local flavored subs, murals and artwork.

“We would like to have earned the respect of both locals and students,” Jennings said. “In addition, we would like to be involved with the community and giving something back for their support.”

The brand recently signed to bring its first location to Georgia, estimated to open toward the end of 2019 in Atlanta. Jennings is scouting areas close to Georgia Tech and the downtown area.