New apartment Complex

This is the site plan for the proposed apartment complex to come to the downtown Athens, Georgia, area. Homes Urban, LLC is working on transforming the former St. Joseph's Catholic Church at 100 Prince Ave. into an apartment complex with a grocery store and retail space. 

UPDATE: Construction will begin in the next few weeks, said Blake Muldrow with Homes Urban, LLC. The development is expected to be completed in about 18 months.

Muldrow couldn’t comment on whether the grocery store will be Piggly Wiggly. 

Athens can expect a new apartment complex — geared toward “permanent households” rather than students — to come to town.

The former St. Joseph’s Catholic Church at 100 Prince Ave. will be transformed into an apartment complex with 110 apartments, a 10,000 square foot grocery store and 17,000 square feet of additional retail and commercial space, according to a Dec. 11 press release.

The original chapel, which was built in 1911, will be preserved and repurposed as a restaurant, the press release said.

Homes Urban, LLC is working with McMillan Pazdan Smith, an architecture firm, Smith Planning, a civil engineering firm, and Trehel Corporation, general contractors, to complete the project.

“We are thrilled to have the opportunity to work on such an iconic project in this special town,” said Russ Davis, principal of Homes Urban, in the press release. “100 Prince will provide a much needed urban grocery to residents living in or near downtown as well as new upscale apartments for permanent urban residents. We look forward to making the idea of this project a reality.”

The announcement of another apartment complex to be built in the downtown area comes two years after The Mark luxury apartment complex opened and four years after The Standard at Athens opened, both of which are geared toward students.

Piggly Wiggly, a grocery store, had hoped to open at this location, even for a $250,000 low-interest loan from the Georgia Cities Foundation. It is unclear whether the grocery store in the new apartment complex will be Piggly Wiggly.

Correction: In a previous version of this article, The Red & Black misattributed the information about the construction timeline of the project. The Red & Black regrets this error, and it has since been fixed.