180402_rmw_schoolmugs_010.jpg

Clarke Central High School in Athens, Georgia, on Monday, April 2, 2018. Clarke Central serves more than one thousand students and is a Title 1 school. (Photo/Rebecca Wright, http://rebeccamariewright.com/)

Five community members have been hired as new principals for schools in the Clarke County School District.

School staff, hiring committees and members of the Clarke County Board of Education were instrumental in this decision.

“We are confident that the principals chosen for each school are the best people for the job,” said Clarke County School District Superintendent Demond Means in a press release. “Each of these educational leaders brings with them a wealth of experience and strength that will lead these schools confidently forward.”

Andrea Neher, current assistant principal at the school, was selected as the principal for Chase Street School. Neher started her career in 2002 in Oconee County schools and has been involved with Clarke County schools since 2003.

The new principal of Howard B. Stroud Elementary School is Stacie Carson. Having worked in education for 19 years, Carson has had much experience working with students. She has served as the interim principal for H.B. Stroud for many months and her most recent position before that was the assistant principal at Fowler Drive Elementary.

For J.J. Harris Elementary Charter School, located off Danielsville Road, Dr. Beverly Harper was selected. She has worked in the education field in Clarke County for 28 years. Dr. Harper served as the assistant principal for four years, and most recently served as interim principal at the school.

The chosen principal for Cedar Shoals High School is Derrick Maxwell. Maxwell served as interim principal of Cedar Shoals in 2016 and has 14 years of experience in education in Clarke County schools. His most recent position has been principal of Commerce Middle School since 2016.

For Clarke Central High School, Swade Huff has been chosen. Starting in Clarke County 20 years ago, Huff recently served as principal of Indian Creek Middle School in Newton County.

One additional vacancy still remains for Whit Davis Elementary School.