Greenway expansion pedestrians

Community members walk and ride at the North Oconee River Greenway trail on April 4, 2018. 

The Athens-Clarke County Leisure Services Department announced on Sept. 20 the opening of a 0.7-mile addition to the North Oconee River Greenway.

The new stretch of the Greenway connects Bailey Street and Carriage Lane to the North Oconee Access Road off of College Station Road.

Connecting with another segment of the path, the expansion creates eight miles of uninterrupted Greenway and allows access to Lexington Road and the Firefly Trail, according to an ACC press release.

The paved multi-use trail is a part of the North Oconee River Greenway, which serves as a commuter-friendly bike route, exercise area and pedestrian path.

SPLOST 2011, a referendum which allowed for the continuation of a one-cent sales tax to fund a variety of community projects, funded the expansion.

The area is accessible from the surrounding neighborhoods. Parking is also available on weekdays after 4 p.m. and on most weekends at the University of Georgia Park and Ride lot off of North Oconee Access Road.