200519_tmg_earlyvoting0008

Voters line up outside the Athens-Clarke County Board of Elections office to vote early on Tuesday, May 19, 2020.

The deadline to register to vote in Georgia is here. Today, Oct. 5, is the final day to make sure you can vote in the 2020 election.

This election is expected to have about a 70% turnout among eligible voters, but that will look drastically different this year as more voters turn to mail-in voting or early in-person voting to reduce the spread of the coronavirus. 

If you live in the state of Georgia or are registered to vote in the state, here’s how to check the status of your registration or register to vote if you haven’t already.

How to register

In the state of Georgia, you can register to vote online or by downloading and mailing in a hard copy registration form. New voters can find this information on the Georgia Secretary of State’s website

College students can receive Georgia voter registration forms from their school registrar's office or from the office of the Vice President of Academic Affairs. Out of state students can also get the necessary forms to register in any state in the U.S.

The state also has an online voter page that allows Georgians to check and see if they are already registered to vote, where their polling location is for early voting and on Election Day, the district of offices they vote for and requesting an absentee ballot. 

Requirements

To register to vote, you must be:

Students whose permanent address is in a state other than Georgia can register to vote or view the status of their registration on their state’s Secretary of State or online voter registration website.