piggly wiggly

110 apartments, a 10,000 square foot grocery store and 17,000 square feet of additional retail and commercial space will be constructed on the former St. Joseph's Catholic Church property at 100 Prince Ave. The grocery store was confirmed to be Piggly Wiggly.

Piggly Wiggly will set up shop in the Classic City, filling the grocery-store void in Downtown Athens for years to come.

The grocery store in a planned development on Prince Avenue was confirmed as a Piggly Wiggly by Athens-Clarke County Mayor Kelly Girtz and District 6 Commissioner Jerry NeSmith on Feb. 28 during the University of Georgia Student Government Association's annual meeting with the ACC Mayor and Commission.

The Piggly Wiggly construction is a part of a mixed-use development project in the former St. Joseph's Catholic Church property at 100 Prince Ave. The property will be transformed into an apartment complex with 110 apartments, a 10,000 square foot grocery store and 17,000 square feet of additional retail and commercial space.