ira edwards

Sheriff Ira Edwards was elected as the sergeant-at-arms for this year's annual summer executive training from the National Sheriff's Association. 

Athens-Clarke County Sheriff Ira Edwards was elected as the sergeant-at-arms for this year’s annual National Sherriff’s Association Summer Annual Executive Training.

He was elected at the June 15-19 training session in New Orleans, which is one of several summer sessions held by the NSA, an organization that serves the Office of Sheriff through education, police training and law enforcement information resources.

“It’s an honor and privilege to be elected to serve on a local, state, and now national level,” Edwards said.

As sergeant-at-arms, Edwards is responsible for maintaining order and decorum at the various meetings and conferences held by the association. His election also means he will progress to the next highest office each year until reaching the presidency, Edwards said.

Though chartered in 1940, the NSA has had just one other African-American elected to the position of of sergeant-at-arms in its history. Edwards feels his election is a step in the right direction.

“It’s a clear indication that the NSA sees the importance of inclusion and diversity on a national level,” Edwards said. “If we are to address diversity and equality, we must start at the top and allow it to flow downward.”

This prestigious election came from the association which represents over 3,000 sheriffs nationwide.