abrams speech end of night

Stacey Abrams speaks to supporters at the Hyatt Regency in downtown Atlanta on Nov. 7, 2018.

At her gubernatorial watch party on election night, Stacey Abrams ended the event by refusing to concede defeat and hinting at the possibility of a runoff.

“Tonight we have closed the gap between yesterday and tomorrow, but we still have a few more miles to go,” Abrams said in a rousing speech around 2 a.m. Wednesday morning.

About 30 minutes prior, her campaign manager Lauren Groh-Wargo, told supporters she thought the race was headed for a runoff, claiming there were still absentee and provisional ballots to be counted, as well as uncounted votes in metro Atlanta.

“Votes remain to be counted, there are voices that are waiting to be heard … we believe our chance for a stronger Georgia is just within reach, but we cannot seize it until all voices are heard,” Abrams said.

Abrams also went after her opponent Brian Kemp. While not mentioning him by name, she referred to the other side’s “trickery” and lamented Georgians having to “stand in line for hours” to cast their ballot.

“In Georgia, civil rights has always been an act of will and a battle for our soul,” Abrams said. “Democracy only works when we work for it.”

Although not declaring a runoff to be certain, Abrams asked for the continued support of her base while reaching out to those who hadn’t voted for her.

“If I wasn’t your first choice, or if you made no choice at all, you’re gonna have a chance to do a do-over,” Abrams said.

At 2:15 a.m., Abrams trailed behind slightly with 48.28 percent of votes compared to Kemp's 50.78 percent with 98 percent of precincts reporting, according to unofficial results from the Secretary of State's Office.