humane society donation

The Athens Subaru dealership raised more than $11,000 for the Athens Area Humane Society through a charity promotion from November to January. (Courtesy Jed Kaylor)

Kitten season is upon us.

The period between early spring and late fall sees an explosion of kittens being born across the country. Just in time, the Athens Area Humane Society received an $11,592 donation from Hughes Subaru on April 5.

The donation is part of the company’s Share the Love promotion, which allows buyers of new cars to donate the money they spend to charities. The promotion has raised more than $50,000 for the AAHS over three years.

AAHS is a nonprofit, no-kill animal shelter, so donations are essential for securing items such as litter, soap and pet food, AAHS Shelter Director Jed Kaylor said, especially with kitten season beginning.

“We cannot save lives without donations like these, and we're so humbled by the generosity of Hughes Subaru and the love they share with AAHS and its pets,” Kaylor said.

Dealerships across the nation participate in Share the Love, and each one partners with three national organizations and one local organization, said Lindsay Lucas, operations director for the Phil Hughes Automotive Group. Subaru also gives $50 for every $250 donated from customer transactions, Lucas said. Customers can give to one organization or split the money among them.

“Athens is a big shop local, give local kind of community."

— Lindsay Lucas, Phil Hughes Automotive Group operations director 

Due to the feline reproductive cycle, the warmer months of the spring, summer and early fall typically bring an increase in the number of kittens born. The AAHS took in a record-breaking 228 kittens last May, the shelter said in an Instagram post.

The $11,592 was raised during the donation period between November and January. This is the third year Hughes Subaru participated in the program, and it has partnered with the humane society every year, Lucas said.

Lucas is not sure how money was divided between the eligible charities during the past donation period, but she said Athens customers are especially receptive to helping an exclusively local organization such as the AAHS.

“Athens is a big shop local, give local kind of community,” Lucas said.